The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad frustrates the heckdoodle out of me. :wallbang: He is 82 and lives right across the road from me. He is always meddling with my animals. He gave Daffodil grain. After me specifically telling him no grain til she poops berries for about three days straight. Nothing but hay for now, he gives her an ENTIRE feed pan of grain. :GAAH::mad: Not only that but he got this gross old chicken watering pan and put it in there with water in it!!!!!:eek::mad::GAAH: I have a nice plastic bucket that me and my daughter keep scrubbed clean and changed out twice a day. No he puts a plethora of gross chicken germs in with her. :sick: I just hope chicken germs don't crossover and make goats sick!!! Geesh he knows I have already lost two. Can y'all tell I am a little miffed? He just had hernia surgery last week and today is the first day he has felt like coming over here and meddling around. I love my dad I really do, but I sure was enjoying taking care of my animals without him undermining everything I do. He has foundered my paso fino before giving too much grain when I have told him not to give any. He doesn't care and doesn't listen.:veryangry: I guess even though I am about to be 41 he still thinks he is dad and can do whatever he wants to, even on my place with my animals.

·
14,615 Posts
Better lock up the grain & make it Dad proof. She'll be ok with the chicken water she probably didnt drink much if any & Im sure you have removed it by now.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
wow.....time to lock up the grain! sounds like he's getting to that really old "know at all" stage in his life.....

how's Daffodil doing??

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why would she drink it? I wouldn't when I had a nice clean white bucket of water in a nice scrubbed out bucket. But still YUCK. He just denied doing it, well my daughter says she didn't do it and I believe her, because she LOVES Daffodil and is willing to do anything to save her. She has been working on things and doctoring Daffodil right along side me. I know I didn't put the grain there and my mom doesn't ever feel like walking this far. (we are right across the road but in the country that can still be a long walk) So he had to put it there. I don't know if he honestly forgot doing it, or if he is just being a stinker and denying it because he doesn't want to be in trouble. Sheesh... Men..., and anyone wonders why I don't remarry.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NChen7 she seems a lot better and we do finally have the beginnings of berries today, I just don't want another set back. She insisted on following me out of the barn again. Stinker that she is, she sometimes won't take no for an answer... I don't mind her spirit though, I think it is all that has saved her so far.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
:laugh: Or lock up dad :p

But seriously, that is awful. My brown doe just had an issue with being fed too much grain, had diarrhea all over the pen, and my pretty little white doe accidentally layed in a puddle of it and stained her coat before I noticed it! :GAAH:
So then I had to stop the diarrhea, get it out of the pen, wash my white doe and get the stain out. And this all could have been avoided...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
well, good sign that she's still doing well! it's great she has such a fighting spirit! go Daffodil!! keep getting better for us!

it's probably your dad, he's getting forgetful. my bf's dad is in his late 60's, and won't be able to tell you what he ate for breakfast when you ask him at lunch!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
LOL...he may well be getting forgetful....when my gramps was in his eighties...he changed the oil in my mom's car....problem was....he put the oil in the radiator :/
:doh:Oh goodness.... Lol.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NewYork Goatmom & NChen7 I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just getting forgetful but he has always fought me on my animals. It is really weird and almost childish. When I was a teenager I got my quarter horse when I was 13 bought him with my own money. I loved the process of feeding him. We raised corn to feed him, so I shelled it and fed him all at the same time, I would sit down at the barn with him early in the morning and shell enough ears to make his morning grain and feed him. Well I fed him at like 6:30 before school. I would wake up at about 6:15 and that was the first thing I would do. Dad started getting out there at 5 so he could feed him instead of me. Then he'd brag that my horse always came to him in the pasture because he liked him so much. I was thinking duh you are the one that has been feeding him. I want to care for my own animals, but he will literally race me to feed. He knows he can get up earlier than me because he gets up at about 4:30 every morning. I ain't doing that. It is just annoying. I do think staying active and having something to do has kept him healthier but I wish he wouldn't butt in so much. He may think he is helping too and he does in some things. I was always the only one of his kids that would help him birth and doctor and feed cattle. He was proud of me for that and when he sold the herd he put all the money into a college fund for me because he said I was the only one that worked for it and deserved it. My brother was just lazy and still is and my sister was a girly girl who liked city type things, she was and is scared of everything and didn't have the stomach to help pull calves or anything. So I don't know me and dad have a strange animal keeping relationship.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to say I don't know what was given to her. I just know what was left in the pan. And it wasn't even her grain it was my rabbits pellets. They are an alfalfa based pellet. She hadn't eaten it all but if he gave her much in that pan it is a pretty big pan.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
awwww!!! that's cute!!! (the college fund part...)

sounds like he's bored and needs another job to do!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it was rabbit food which is primarily alfalfa. Rabbit grower pellets.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I'd probably lock up the grain but make sure hay is available for him to do or something that won't affect your goat's health.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i think it'll be ok. she probably didn't eat that much... maybe have baking soda out for her in case she needs it?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The thing is there really is no stopping him. I have tried bringing the grain in the house where I could control it when it was just the horses. He would go to the feed store, buy grain and keep it at his house and feed them. He has animals too, so he has a feed storage room on his side of the road at his barn. Mom and I both tell him not to feed grain or as much grain depending on the animal and the situation but he never listens. MOST of the time I can at least get him to feed the proper food, amount, and mixture. It is just at times, like when my Paso Fino needed pulled from grain or now with Daffodil he thinks they are starving. He feeds everything like you feed a cow and you just can't do that with horses and goats.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts