ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION? Thoughts? Experience, and good leads

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by Jarrod & Jody, Jan 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    so I’ve been thinking about A.I. for my next breeding season and have found a few close to home and some from Europe that I’m madly inlove with. Please post thoughts experiences and great leads

2. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    How are you going to get seamen from Europe?

Jarrod & Jody likes this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Ok I’m going to try not to ramble here especially since I’m not sure if your looking for just semen and you want to know about different ones??? If so I can’t help you there lol or if your wanting to know about AI it’s self.
    That I can say something about and just ignore me if that’s not what you were after and you know all this :p
    I have no idea about importing semen so I’ll say AIing is a great way of getting different genetics in your herd without going threw having to purchase animals to get them. The main thing that interested me in it is the fact that it seems all the lines I want are clear across the country from me and or the animals are so dang expensive.
    There are some down sides though. Not every single attempt at AI will be successful. The good thing is I see you have Nubians and their semen is not overly expensive (I have boers and OMG are they expensive) depending on if your going to do it your self or not the tools, tank, and keeping the tank charged can be expensive, well no not can be, it is! If your going to have someone do it the down side to that is most likely your going to be going off their schedule and that’s not really the way one wants to get it done because it might be too early or too late.
    But bottom line, even with me having boers, I think the cost and knowing that AT BEST (I haven’t totally gotten it down yet) I’ll probably have a 60% success rate I think it is still very much worth it. Even at a 5% success I would be be money ahead then purchasing one animal and having it shipped over to me. I’m not sure what “the going rate” for Nubians are but I bet it is probably going to be the same deal.

4. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Yes ! It’s much cheaper then buying a animal, my vet will be doing it for me, I just hope the one I want will be able to ship when my girls are ready

5. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Have it shipped in to My vet

6. wifeof1

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Well heck. Let me know how that goes. We're being told it can't be done due to US regulations.

7. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma

8. wifeof1

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    The donors have to be export certified. Because the seamen is considered live. That's a pretty expensive route. So for instance we would love to have some Golden Guernsey seamen, but the cost and hoops to have the donor certified is a huge deterrent. So your vet must have some incredible knowledge on this subject. Lucky you.

9. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I can't help it, but I'm pretty sure shipping in seamen to impregnate your goats is breaking quite a few laws (rofl)

10. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Do you do your own? I was kind of floating around the idea of learning how to.

FoxRidge likes this.
  11. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    It's frozen. It can be shipped at any time.

If you have Nubian's there is a farm near us that has really nice Nubians.
    I know they paid $10,000 for a buckling a few years ago at the ADGA Spotlight Sale.

https://www.jandmhideawayfarm.com/

J&M Hideaway. They had the first place Nubian Herd at the 2017 National Show.

12. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well.........I’m going to be attempting it lol
    Ok here’s the story lol I took the class I tried it on one doe, I knew I was early but went for it, of course didn’t settle. I bought 10 straws and was going to try it again last fall but life got crazy and my husband lost his grandpa and coworker/ best friend in the same day so I didn’t remember to fill the tank and it went dry :/ so I have more semen coming, reminders set on my phone and wrote on the calendar so I’ll let you know how these 20 straws go in about 8-9 months lol
    It took me a few years weighing pros and cons, and I really think it is something that is worth doing.

13. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    Yea please do, keep us updated.

I don't think my herd (or the market in my area) is quite there yet for it to be worth it financially for me but I could see it being so down the line, which is why I've been thinking of learning how.

14. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Totally understandable and that was another reason I waited awhile too.

15. IHEARTGOATS

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    It's actually not that expensive if you can find a used semen tank. I've seen them for around $200. If you get a used tank, make sure it's holding nitrogen.

You can get a kit to do the AI for less than $200.
    http://www.biogenicsltd.com/kits.html

And then of course you can spend all you want on semen.

The most important thing is timing.

Another important aspect that is not always emphasized is proper handling of the semen.

16. IHEARTGOATS

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
  17. IHEARTGOATS

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Jarrod & Jody and Dwarf Dad like this.
  18. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yes but also $100 to get semen shipped and with boers, depending on the buck can be anywhere from $75-300 a straw. I’m not sure how much other people pay to keep a tank charged but it’s $60, it’s supposed to last 4 months, I play (or attempt) to play it safe and try to shoot for every 3 months but is more like 3 1/2.
    It can be expensive especially when one stops and considers that not every foe will take , it all adds up BUT like I said I think in the end is very much worth it!

19. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Thank you so much! You have been so much of a help!

20. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Do you have a photo of him?