As you all know . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I'm moving this year (possibly) and I have to sell all my goats and other barnyard animals.
    I am putting money away to try to start another nigie herd, and I was figuring today when an old memory came back to me. . . .
    I was about ten years old and saving up for a horse of my own *had been saving up since I was six* and so I was putting away a five dollar bill when my Grandma looked at it and said, "That will buy one horse ear."
    So That's how I'm figuring right now. ;) I have enough money right now to buy about 3/4ths of a goat . . . .

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    always look on the bright side -- good for you.

So why are you moving? anything in particular?

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    We had family out here in Idaho---but they are moving to Mexico, and we don't want to stay here alone. . . .so we are going to move back to some other family members in South Dakota.
    Around Sioux Falls, I think.We found a little farm by Parker that we really liked so, It has a few small outbuildings and an old barn. I guess we'll see this summer when we offically go 'home shopping'.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So your dad and fam are ok with you getting more animals - just dont want to have to deal with moving them?

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    My Dad would prefer I wasn't such a tomboy *he thinks I should sit in the house, knit, cook, clean, bake cookies, etc* but I can get more animals after we move.
    He said he doesn't want goat rasberries and lemen juice all over the back of his truck. :roll: . That's why he refuses to haul my goats.
    My mom loves goats, too. So she's very supportive in having barn animals.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my dad thinks i should be more handy with a tool belt! LOL no not really he thinks I am perfect just the way I am. He is the one telling me to go to Vet school I said NO but would look into vet tech school because he asked. :love:

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Lucky you. My mom's like that---but my dad were raised to believe a woman's place is in the house.
    But I love him. :love: . After all, he built me a 6,000 dollar barn, my fences, my milking parlor . . .even though he didn't like me spending time in the barn, he showed how much he loved me when he did this.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its hard - but hey at least you can have them - it never hurts to learn the house stuff too. I know how to cook, clean and run a house. Parents made sure I learned that too.

My mom is so handy with a saw, piece of wood and some screws its crazy! She is crafty too, making stuff, painting intricate stuff, sews clothes or costums or just fixes stuff makes bags etc and she cooks awesome - always coming up with new things and hardly ever is anything burnt! She is like wonder woman! I always say if I can be just a little like her I will be happy. OH and she homeschooled all 5 of us. Proving that woman can do both be a house wife and "tomboy". She loves it too. Loves the animals and loves the home. My dad isnt as keen on all the animals due to smells and all the energy involved (makes going away an issue at times so that aspect frustrates him it hasnt held us back yet though, we always find a way) but he lets us have what we want because he knows I love it. I have some very special parents. I am very blessed. :greengrin:

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I know how to clean . . . .and I dabble a bit in cooking (I burn alot :ROFL: my last attempt left me with charcoal buns). I am trying to find someone to teach me how to sew. I don't like housework as much as I do barnwork, but I want to learn how to be versatile. :)

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    believe me I rather been in the barn! But I feel I need to be well rounded and by being willing to help around the house and knowing how is important! Even my brothers learn how to clean and take care of the house.

11. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    :thumbup: totally agree with you there.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think my parents would like if I wasn't such a tomboy but I"m sure even they will admit its nice not having a very girlie girl daughter :greengrin: I still clean and cook and such, but I know how to build stuff, shoot guns, drive fast etc :D

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    My neighbors nicknamed me Cruela Deville because of how I drive. . . . :ROFL: (I personally don't think I drive fast. . . .)
    I definitely want to learn how to shoot someday, but my Dad doesn't really do hunting.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LOL I am responsible when I drive the car, everything else I drive pretty hard. I flipped our ATV over once when I was skidding around on ice, that was fun :D

We don't hunt anymore, takes to much time and I like my toes :wink: We target shoot a lot.

15. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I'm responsible too. (My dad would kill me if I damaged the paint job on our suburban again) and I don't have a quad (I haven't driven one since I was twelve.
    My grandpa had two accidents within a month of each other!
    The first one he went aruond a corner too fast and slid on ice while trying to break to avoid crashing into my uncle David (he crashed into him anyway, crippling my uncle's red chevy's fender) and then I was his next victim . . .
    The mailboxes are like 1/2 a mile away from where we live, and so we either drive or walk out for the mail. The mailboxes are on the left side of the road, and so yu have to sort of crossover to get the mail.
    Anyway, I was driving out for the mail and my grandpa was in front of me with his dodge pickup and he swerved toward the mailboxes, so I picked up a bit to pass him when he did a U-turn without warning.
    We had a head on collision, bent the fenders, but the only thing I thought of when I was trying to break was, "My Dad is going to kill me."
    He didn't. He laughed. I think he was having hysterics. :roll: and my mom told me never to pick up speed when passign someone, and I have never done it since.
    If anything, it made me realize how serious car accidents can get, so I'm slow going aruond curves and up hills, and definitely careful if I have kids in the back.

16. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i was always a tom boy and my mom didnt seem to mind
    my dad did but my parents were divorced so i didnt pay attention to dad much
    then mom got cancer and had to have a mastectomy
    i cooked my very first thanksgiving dinner by myself at 8
    and mom taught me how to do laundry and crochet and i can sew by hand but sewing machines hate me
    lol
    then mom got better and could do more and i became a tom boy again
    i used to help a friend work on his truck
    big old ford
    i would literally sit IN the engine to work on it and come home all greasy and smiling ear to ear
    lol
    then we got horses and i had to be girlie again to a point
    my mom got me into showing and you know how some horse ppl can be
    and i had to lose weight and look good in those stupid pants and high riding boots and learn to do my hair so it fit and looked good under those stupid helmets
    lol (no offense to horse ppl here)
    now i can work with the best of farm hands and still dress up in a "little black dress" and go out on the town and i've been head cook in 2 restaurants and one year put on a Christmas spread for a restaurant that Gordon Ramsey would be hard pressed to beat
    LOL :slapfloor:

17. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Wow! :shocked: . Letting me loose in the kitchen at eight would have been my mom's worst nightmare! I'm seventeen and she still doesn't trust me! :slapfloor:

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If it makes you feel better - marry a man that can cook :wink: That is what I did!

If it goes in the microwave I can do it - but if not - he cooks while I shovel manure and take out the garbage - LOL!

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with you there Allison!! Though the LAST tme I got a cooked meal out of my DH it was fish sticks and green beans! :ROFL: