The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Bob. I am an asceticism addict.

Perhaps there is a 12 point program for asceticism addicts like me. It has taken me a while to admit that I am one, but they say admitting it is the first step to recovery.

It all started as a cub scout when I did my first good deed. I then fell into the ascetic spiral by admitting that there was no none lower than myself. I started spending inordinate amounts of time selflessly serving others, first giving up my own desires and then on occasion, thoughtlessly abstaining from some of my needs.

Now I find myself having irresistible urges for the cacophony of silent contemplative meditation.

After long periods of asceticism abstinence, I find myself in a profligate ascetic binge. I am about to have one of those binges again as I inspect the goat gear and pack the standard saddlebags with minimalist survival gear.

They say that once you are an ascetic you will always be one. A mere sip of quiet meditation, or a single simple act of generosity may plunge you once again into the tumultuous depths of full-fledged meditation and contemplation.

Is there any hope?

But before you judge me too harshly, perhaps you are one confession away from being an asceticism addict yourself. Perhaps you simply must admit that you are a junky for quiet moments alone.

·
Registered
537 Posts
For those of us that did not know what the word meant.

as·cet·i·cism
? ?[uh-set-uh-siz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
1. the manner of life, practices, or principles of an ascetic.

2. the doctrine that a person can attain a high spiritual and moral state by practicing self-denial, self-mortification, and the like.

3. rigorous self-denial; extreme abstinence; austerity.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry, Bob. I can't help you. I have the opposite problem, you see. I'm a hedonist. It's a lot more fun, but it can sure be expensive.

he·don·ism/?h?dn?iz?m/
Noun:

The pursuit of pleasure.
The ethical theory that pleasure is the highest good and proper aim of human life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.