Asking around

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Coraxfeather, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    My boss is gettign some more chickens and ducks for the petting zoo. can anyone suggest some breed that would be very friendly. My red Island reds have been the friendlist so far with the chickens. (just lost one due to Old age(kathy). So we have only BBQ left and she is getting old) And I need to find a duck that is a easy keep. Our peking is messey and have to bath her evey time we use her.

2. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    My polish chickens are pretty personable. They don't seem to be real skittish. I have heard that because they can't see real well they don't scare as easy. I would think the opposite would be true. Also I had 2 pet turkeys I raised and they too were really friendly. I know my americanas were not friendly. Especially the roosters. Also guinea fowl would not be good. I have some and even the ones I have hand raised never are very personable. Don't know it that helped any. Cathy

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ours are all very friendly, but they were raised by my children who pick them up and pet them all the time and are very gentle with them. The ones that follow us around the most are Red and Black Sex-links, Australorps, and Buff Orpingtons.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I second the Buff Orpington chickens--nicest birds ever :)

Can't offer much advice when it comes to ducks, unfortunately.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I would get bantams chickens, most specifically, silkies. Silkie chickens I have found to be the most docile, and plus, they are soft and fluffy. Definitely a win win. Buff Orps are pretty tame too, as you mentioned.

As for ducks, that's harder. The only tame duck I ever had was a little mutt thing I hatched under a lamp and was super attached to me. And it was messy, all ducks are messy, all the time, the stinkers.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I third the buffs and second the silkies. Two of my favorite breeds.
    For ducks, yes they are always a bit messy. If you get any, I would go with the muscovy though. Mighty tasty and they are great for fly control. I've heard several places that they are super friendly and calm. Ours aren't the friendliest, but they are good ducks, and are usually silent.

7. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I was also thinking silkies! But Orpingtons are really nice to! I just sold my beautiful blue Orps, all I have left is my favorite black rooster Ruben, he will follow me around, I think he'd even go into the house if I'd let him.

I think both are equally nice, but the Orps do seem to have a bit more personality. On the other hand kids may be less intemidated by the little silkies, Ruben is huge.

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I never thought about it that way Havaris, yes I would think silkies might be a better bet, and the fact they they're just so darn fluffy.