The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a goat who recently tested CAE positive, kidded (kids were separated and bottle fed) is now separate from herd but is dealing with tons of hard lumps/masses in her udder. She is still producing some milk, but her udder is just incredibly hard.

This is not my area of expertise.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Does the goat have a fever and is the udder hot?

From here: http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/MeatGoatMania/March2013/

"A mastitic udder is hot, swollen, and hard and can be but certainly is not always a symptom of Caprine Arthritic Encephalitis (CAE). . . ( If the udder is hard and cold, it is dead and nothing can be done to fix it.)"

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the goat have a fever and is the udder hot?

From here: http://tennesseemeatgoats.com/MeatGoatMania/March2013/

"A mastitic udder is hot, swollen, and hard and can be but certainly is not always a symptom of Caprine Arthritic Encephalitis (CAE). . . ( If the udder is hard and cold, it is dead and nothing can be done to fix it.)"
I don't believe there is active mastitis, fever heat etc.

She is considering a mammary removal.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
A friend of mine has a goat who recently tested CAE positive, kidded (kids were separated and bottle fed) is now separate from herd but is dealing with tons of hard lumps/masses in her udder. She is still producing some milk, but her udder is just incredibly hard.

This is not my area of expertise.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Has the milk been tested for mastitis?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
How many times has she freshened? If this is not her first freshening,, is this her first congested udder?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Ok..that was my thinking..if she's freshened before with no congestion. I too would work in drying her up and retiring her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts