The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I will start my kidding thread at the first of April, but until then I want to start asking some questions about milking my FF doe Poppy.
A little background: She will be due sometime after April 22. She is some type of ND mix, maybe part Nubian. She was a bottle baby that was given to me about four years ago (making her about four years old). She is the only mix doe I have, the rest of the herd are all Boers. I'm VERY worried about her kidding since she is smaller than the Boer buck she's bred to.
I am thinking about milking her, though I really don't have the set up for it. I have a stand but no special room for her so I'll be milking her in an extra stall or in the side of the barn. I don't know much about milking so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before she kids.
Questions:
What are the things I would need? Like buckets, disinfectants, etc.
She is very sensitive around her udder and hates me touching it. I take her out every chance I get and put her on the stand and rub her udder. What else can I do pre-kidding?
How do I disinfect her udder before and after milking? And what do I use to do that?
How do I handle the milk afterwards?
I don't want to bottle feed the kids, how do I milk mom and leave enough milk for the kids?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I'll think of more questions later I'm sure!
Dog breed Working animal Grass Goat Terrestrial animal

Vertebrate Bird Mammal Beak Plant

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi! So first of all, you'll probably want all the supplies so that you are ready. Here is a site that will tell you what you need:
https://www.weedemandreap.com/goat-milking-supplies/
Before you milk, you can just use warm soapy water and a cloth.( I use a gentle shampoo to do the job.) And your hands need to be clean too before you start milking.
I like to use Fight Bac, a disinfectant, after milking to prevent mastitis.
While you milk, it's very important to keep it cold. Getting it cold as soon as possible will prevent the 'goaty' taste. You can either use an ice bath to put the jar in while you milk or just get it in the fridge or freezer ASAP.
After you are done milking, you need to filter it and store it in a glass jar, not plastic because it will absorb smells. You'll get more details on where to buy this stuff in the site above.
You don't really have to worry about taking too much milk from the kids because as long as the mama is getting grain, she'll just keep making more. Here's a tip, after your done milking as much as you want, massage her udder afterwards to help get some milk down for the kids.
It took a while for my doe to get used to me touching her udder too but after a while she started to enjoy it and even brought up her cud!
Good luck to you and the mama!;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I do not know if I am a goat lover or just searching for answers; I am an on-grid homesteader who is considering raising dairy goats for personal use. Over the years, I have heard stories of breeds that do not require twice daily milking and some breeds that do not require milking unless needed. Is this so, or fantasy?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,700 Posts
Hello everyone! I will start my kidding thread at the first of April, but until then I want to start asking some questions about milking my FF doe Poppy.
A little background: She will be due sometime after April 22. She is some type of ND mix, maybe part Nubian. She was a bottle baby that was given to me about four years ago (making her about four years old). She is the only mix doe I have, the rest of the herd are all Boers. I'm VERY worried about her kidding since she is smaller than the Boer buck she's bred to.
I am thinking about milking her, though I really don't have the set up for it. I have a stand but no special room for her so I'll be milking her in an extra stall or in the side of the barn. I don't know much about milking so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before she kids.
Questions:
What are the things I would need? Like buckets, disinfectants, etc.
She is very sensitive around her udder and hates me touching it. I take her out every chance I get and put her on the stand and rub her udder. What else can I do pre-kidding?
How do I disinfect her udder before and after milking? And what do I use to do that?
How do I handle the milk afterwards?
I don't want to bottle feed the kids, how do I milk mom and leave enough milk for the kids?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I'll think of more questions later I'm sure!
View attachment 200839
View attachment 200841

She looks like a ND/Pygmy mix! Do you have any pics of her face? Also you can do a test to know what she is!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses! That helps a lot! She is due sometime after April 22 so I still have to wait a bit longer.
I do have another question though. She doesn’t have very long hair on her udder, but there is still some longish hair there. Do I need to shave her udder before kidding?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,700 Posts
I would wait till after she kids because it will get her udder all messy so if you wait till the kids are old enough to start being separated then you should shave her and clean her up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts