The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a year of procrastinating, I am finally dehorning my adult goat, Comet. He has caused injuries to my dogs, lambs, and other goats and occasionally turns his horns to me (playfully, but it doesn't feel very good).

So I have all of the equipment to do the banding method and I've done a ton of research. I finally have the courage to just get it over with for everyone's safety, including his.

He is my big baby, so I am doing this as pain-free as possible for him. I want to give him aspirin for the first couple of days to help with the "headache" phase I've read about. I know it's a blood-thinner, so I won't use it when they are falling off.

I know others have asked about aspirin before and gotten answers of 325mg/10lbs of weight? However, 20 aspirin pills seems like a whole lot?? Is that correct? Please help!

**P.S. Any other info/tips regarding any of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the dose but I know its a LOT. I'd be worried about stomach safety though. No access to banamine?
I wish I could get banamine, but we don't have a good vet around here who knows much about goats. And I've read about stomach ulcers, etc. but most say that there isn't too much to worry about when it's only a short-term fix. I'm not sure, though!

·
8,472 Posts
It is 20 pills! But sometimes it is really difficult to get them to take them. I've tried crushing and making a slurry, mixing with sugar and molasses. Any way I've tried has been a royal pain if they do not like aspirin. Only one doe would eat them like candy.

If you could get Banamine, that would be best. A dog vet could order it for you. (Some are pretty good about that). Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.