The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My never-been-bred Nubian has an enlarged right udder. It is about the size of my small cupped hand. It is hard, not like a rock, but definitely not soft. In retrospect, I think it has developed slowly over the years, I just thought her right teat hung just slightly lower than the left. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is called a precosious udder. Some goats develop them. Do a google search and see what to do. I don't remember, haven't been through it yet.:)
Thank you! That was my first assumption and what I hoped...until I touched it and it was hard-the vet told me "No matter what it is, it is not good". From what I read it is best to leave a precocious udder alone and let the milk reabsorb.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Yes its better to let it be, however, I would milk a tiny bit out to see whats there. PU can turn to mastitis and you want to keep an eye on that. Be clean when checking and do a teat dip after. If fluid come out and it looks clean, then let it be. if its bloody, pus, flaky, chunky, ect..you will need to treat for Mastitis. There is a product called Mastoblast? that is an oral natural treatment that some say help dry up a PU. I have not had experience to this fact but its safe to try. Jeffers carries it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Yes its better to let it be, however, I would milk a tiny bit out to see whats there. PU can turn to mastitis and you want to keep an eye on that. Be clean when checking and do a teat dip after. If fluid come out and it looks clean, then let it be. if its bloody, pus, flaky, chunky, ect..you will need to treat for Mastitis. There is a product called Mastoblast? that is an oral natural treatment that some say help dry up a PU. I have not had experience to this fact but its safe to try. Jeffers carries it.
I'd give garlic in case of any mastitis concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I
I'd give garlic in case of any mastitis concern.
Thanks. I milked a little out, which allowed me to better palpate the udder. There is a big round hard mass in there. I don't believe there is much heat associated with it, which would be expected with mastitis. Hmmm, definitely not good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T
I milked her and got about 1/4 cup of clean milk, no lumps, no blood. She kicked over the bucket. The hard mass in there doesn't feel like mastitis, but I will do a CMT test if I can get enough milk.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
sounds like its not mastitis. Where in the udder is the mass? There is a Lymph node top center of udder that can get large or if in the udder "bag" its self, could be a tumor :( ...as long as she is not hurting or it doesn't turn to mastitis I would monitor the lump to see if its growing. Any change in the udder shape or color, recheck the milk.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like its not mastitis. Where in the udder is the mass? There is a Lymph node top center of udder that can get large or if in the udder "bag" its self, could be a tumor :( ...as long as she is not hurting or it doesn't turn to mastitis I would monitor the lump to see if its growing. Any change in the udder shape or color, recheck the milk.
The mass is definitely on one side and is up against her belly. It is pretty big actually. It does feel like a tumor my vet thinks it might be CAE, we are waiting on those results. She is otherwise fine, so I will just see how the testing comes out. While I wait, nervously, I thought I would run it past all the experienced goat breeders here to see if anyone had seen this abnormality. I very much appreciate your advice, thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts