At a loss...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pepper, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Hi,

My ND dairy goat has been standing in the corner of her pen facing the corner off and on since 4AM.

Her temp was 100.8 (low)
    famacha medium (ive been giving fortified b injections, red cell and ACV/probios)
    I gave her some kaopectate...
    massaged her tummy with oil, she's not really very bloated.. She has this issue off and on app every 6 - 8 weeks. ...also gave tums later... then added calcium crushed up

I took them out to move around when it warmed up a bit more and she ran around.. now she's back in the corner again. She usually lays down but has only done so for a short time and back up again in the corner...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Have you had a fecal run on her? How does her breathing sound? What is she eating and how much? How old is she? Is she pregnant?

MadHouse likes this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Have you heard her ruminate? (listen for gurgling on her left side)

If it's a rumen upset, some flat dark beer would help.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Age? In lactation? Typical diet?

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Just got back in. Temp is normal 102.3 famacha could be better... yes I've done a fecal and it was good. I've hauled out hot water for them all day and she's not drinking near enough.
    I gave her another dose of kaopectate
    Her rumen isn't making good sounds... there are sounds but mild. She is pooping.
    4 years old

SalteyLove and MadHouse like this.
  6. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Will my light beer work? I'm really worried. Her tummy is tender when I massage with digestion oil... she's eating baking soda, it's not causing burps

MadHouse likes this.
  7. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    I added a tsp of kelp recently? She gets 1 pt oats 1 pt sweet feed 1 pt black gold. Free feed on alfalfa and timothy hay. They have loose minerals, baking soda free feed
    Hot water when cold with ACV always

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

From what I hear it's gotta be dark.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and Pepper like this.
  10. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Giving free choice baking soda is no longer a standard practice. Goats produce bicarbonate naturally in the digestive system and giving baking soda free choice inhibits their ability to produce their own. Please consider removing free choice baking soda as an offering for your goats. Thank you.

goatblessings, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Vet called back. SMH I had no idea the roads were icy. She said she "thinks" she'll be ok till morning and she's coming out then if need be. I'm going back out to massage one more time. The vet is very good, she works with 4H goats and has her own milk goats. Thank you all. I'm exhausted. I'll update as I can

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Ok thank you! New to goats ...less than a year

GoofyGoat, HMNS and MadHouse like this.
  13. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Not a problem. I had heard the same advice about putting out baking soda as well.

GoofyGoat, Pepper and MadHouse like this.
  14. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Ok, ya'll thank you so much for bearing with me. This girl is as much a pet as my dogs... I finally got a huge belch
    omgosh, never thought Id be so happy to get a belch! Normally her rumen, well, all of them are easy to hear. She still has something going on but at least is moving some gas. I'll go back out again in a bit. This has been so scary

GoofyGoat, SalteyLove and MadHouse like this.
  15. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Just out of curiosity has she been kept in the barn for a long while? And also, what is her body condition score?

MadHouse likes this.
  16. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

When you massage her, have her stand with front hooves up a few inches, like on a cinder block. It helps tremendously.
    So glad she burped for you!
    Watch for cud chewing. I have had the same thing, and now I always check if mine is chewing her cuds. Makes me So happy when she does.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  17. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

It needs be flat dark beer.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  18. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    She's been in the barn longer the past couple of days. We had icey rain/snow and a very cold snap. I let them out during the day but not as long as usual. I thought about this too. I took hot water out all day vs a couple times due to not seeing the water intake as much as normal.

I would say body score a 3-4. She's very healthy and always on the plump side. Now am wondering if she munched on some pine pellets (under the straw bedding for absorption of urine and odor) with lower water intake... Getting ready to go back out. She's been lying down finally and vet is coming out this morning but not till app 9

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Please let us know what the vet said.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  20. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Hi, Yes I know that feeling even tho a short time goat owner. She's not chewing. I had her elevated but didn't last long... her tummy is tender this time vs other times. She's very uncomfortable. I massaged her numerous times, deep massage also to try to get that burp.

Thinking about drenching her with extra fluid this morning? Any thoughts?

MadHouse likes this.