At a loss...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pepper, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh I caught her chewing! (I have a cam on them and while getting coveralls on..) First time since I don't even know.. as soon as I replied, there she went. Wasnt long but it was a bit of chewing. Well, she's stuck with just fodder (hay and alf) till she's doing much better.

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

If this is an off and on problem I would get rid of the sweet feed. Very few of my goats can handle molasses in their diet and they really don't need it.

3. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    Yes....I echo what goathiker said. I would wait to get a definitive diagnosis from the vet though before making any changes to diet. That’s what it sounds like. Especially if she’s a bit on the plump side....and if she’s been unable to get as much browse lately due to weather. But definitely follow your vets instructions. Keep us updated.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Any suggestions as to changing over? I've been slowly cutting it back over the past weeks. I've heard it's not good. I would love to have a bagged feed in one but she wouldnt touch the Noble Dairy. Would oats and the black gold be enough if I just keep cutting it back?

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you! I'm scared to give her any grain this morning at all. I can tell there's still something going on and am now wondering too about an injury... she sat! I mean like a dog sits. Not for long but twice this morning and I'm very familiar with this girl. Uhg! I'll be thrilled to know whats going on. Would you keep her off the grains too for now? I planned on it at least til the vet comes over. Milking may go odd... but.. I sure don't want more issues

PS I'm still learning to navigate on this site. I didn't realize there were 2 pages...

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  6. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I'm glad you got her to burp and she's chewing cud! Is black gold black oil sunflower seeds? If so, a pint seems like a lot.

MadHouse and goathiker like this.
  7. goathiker

This is what I feed

200 lbs. whole oats
    100 lbs. rolled barley
    50 lbs. calf manna or LMF super supplement
    40 lbs. black oil sunflower seeds
    25 lbs. field peas or split peas

This mix must be given with alfalfa to correct the calcium/phosphorus ratio.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Its a sunflower meal. PS by pt i meant part

MadHouse likes this.
  9. goathiker

This is the ratio that boss should be in their grain 1/5 or less. Otherwise the oil can also cause problems.

10. goathiker

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Makes sense! I read it as 1 pint sweet feed, 1 pint BOSS, and I thought that seemed like a lot of BOSS!

Pepper and MadHouse like this.
  12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    That looks like a good mix! I'm still trying to figure out the best mix for my own goats. It's quite a process!

13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @goathiker where do you get split peas? I’ve never seen then in any feed store, but I’d also like to change my feed

14. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You mentioned what mix you are feeding her but not how much.

I agree, the sunflower meal is much too high.

If she is not in lactation and is a healthy weight, I'd recommend taking her off all concentrates/grains. The alfalfa mix hay would be plenty to sustain her!

You mentioned she didn't like Noble Goat and you couldn't find another non-sweet bagged feed as an option. Could you tell us which feed manufacturers your feed store carries? Or if a chain store, which one? Maybe we could provide some options if you don't wish to mix your own feed.

GoofyGoat, goatblessings and MadHouse like this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get split peas at a bulk food store.

GoofyGoat, Pepper and MadHouse like this.
  16. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you all again! We are officially out of the woods. Looking over feed choices to exit out of sweet feed!

17. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    It's one the company suggested be fed solely but didn't sound right... it's out of colorado mills and is called black gold. I picked it up when I brought the first goat addiction home... Learning as I go and reading what ya'll are suggesting too. I do have BOSS I can use and do away with the meal one. They all look so healthy but this one and her tummy... plus from things I've read sweet feed can cause issues down the road too. Taking notes here!!

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    She's been in milk for a year now. I can get Noble Goat (Purina Dairy) and I think it's Klassy goat if I can't find split peas..

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    What is LMF? I have calf manna from when I first got her. She just had kids off her. They get all the alfalfa and timothy hay they want.

MadHouse likes this.
  20. goathiker

LMF is a horse food brand. The super supplement is much like calf manna with a better nutritional profile.

HMNS, Pepper, GoofyGoat and 1 other person like this.