At a loss...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pepper, Jan 26, 2021.

1. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Just for reference because I was curious, here is the Black Gold label. It super hot (27% protein) so even when cut with oats, you could see hoof over growth or other high protein issues.

Attached Files:

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The half and half mixture is 19% protein and 7% fat. That is not balanced well for a ruminant.

toth boer goats and Pepper like this.

3. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you @SalteyLove and @goathiker. This feed issue has been so confusing. If I can't get the split peas, is the rest of the ingredients out of balance @goathiker? What would I add to balance?

MadHouse likes this.
  4. goathiker

I fed this mixture without the peas for years. I was always happy with it. Then a feed mill moved in that offered field peas. I was happy to add them because they have an enzyme that is particularly good for pregnancy.
    Now that I've moved away from that area, I just buy 2 lb bags of split peas from the grocery store on each shopping trip and add whatever I have in the next mix.
    The beauty of it is that they are used to everything in the mix. If you run out you can feed oats or barley for a couple days without harm.
    Whole boss is so much better for them than byproduct pellets though.
    I don't buy whole barley because it wears the teeth and kids can't chew it but. I do whole non GMO foods wherever possible.

5. goathiker

Then there was my friend in Barbados. She fed the oats and barley mixture and gave a spoonful of split peas on each dish. She was very happy with the progress her does made. The boss was replaced with coconut.

6. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Thank you! We are definitely a work in progress here. Great info

MadHouse likes this.
  7. HMNS

HMNS Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio

Very Interesting. I haven't heard of feeding coconut (guessing she's using whole Coconut Meat). I use Coconut Oil quite a bit for us 'humans' and the dogs get some one their food, haven't given any to the goats but, maybe it would be good for them..?

Pepper and MadHouse like this.
  8. goathiker

It would in moderation, just like any other animal.

There are many ways to feed. I've talked to people who feed boiled barley and native roots, (Africa) plants that are basically tubes of water, (Pakistan) and many many more. Goats are very adaptable when chemicals and waste products are eliminated from their diet.

happybleats, Pepper, MadHouse and 3 others like this.
  9. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

How is your doe doing, @Pepper ?

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I agree about goats adapting. I have seen goats thrive on nothing more than tumbleweed.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Hi,

She's doing well thank you!! I did a copper bolus, wormed and so far anemia is clearing up very well. Lesson learned too.... don't rely on fecals. I think I'll get a microscope

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  12. Pepper

Pepper Member

Aug 22, 2020
    CO
    Love this. If I think of all the chemicals we're exposed to and what it does ... I can imagine our critters...

MadHouse likes this.
  13. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So good to hear!:great:

14. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Does your sweet feed have corn in it? Goats don't digest corn well and it can build up in their rumen causing indigestion, bloating, and fermented rumens.

MadHouse likes this.