At my wits end...Tillie's tail

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goathappy, May 9, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you guys remember Tillie, the doe who lost her tail a few weeks ago? Well a quarter inch off the end of it sloughed off yesterday(very gross, but the vet said that might happen, it didn't have much meat left on it)

Anyway, my problem is that we cannot keep any bandage of any sort on the tail and we can't stop her from chewing on it :angry: We've tried several ways of wrapping it and she still gets the bandage off. We've tried a cone dog collar for her, carpet padding, and now we have a few hard foam collars on her now but she is still able to get the bandage off. Right now we have the foam collars duct taped on and we are putting a salve on it that keeps infection and flies away and helps to heal it. She's still chewing the upper part of her tail raw and that just irks me to no end :sigh:

Does anybody have any ideas on collar types so that we can keep her from pulling her bandaging off? I don't want her tail getting more infected and having more of it slough off.

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What about apple bitters spray that you use on dogs and cats to keep from chewing stitches? Any pet store should have it.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats real strange - I would be trying to find out the reason for her biting it.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    We had a buck at work slam his tail in the feeder and tear a heap off ... and just like yours it irritated him so much that he just kept biting it and damaging it more. Nothing you mentioned worked on this guy either.

What we did was put him in the shed and tie him up ... he was tied really short so he couldnt turn round and reach his tail. He was tied to a sliding rail with food and water along and, and taken for exercise once daily. Not a pleasant experience for him - he lived like that for about a month - but it did help the tail to heal and as you said I was at my wits end with what to do for him.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well ....if it works..... it is well worth doing it that way........ :wink: :greengrin:
    good idea :)

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    There is a type of collar (can't remember the name) that goes on the neck of dogs and goes from the jaw bone all the way down to where the neck attackes to the body. This makes it so that they can not turn and chew on themselves instead of an E-Collar. You could try that.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think she is biting it because it is healing and things itch when they heal.

Keren, THANK YOU so much for that idea. We put her in a very small pen and tied her up and all she can do is stand up or sit down and she hasn't chewed on her tail. We still can't keep wrapping on it(she just flicks it off) but we go out every hour and put stuff on it.

Thank you so much :hug: :hug: :hug: :leap:

Allison, for future reference, where can I get one of those collars? the vet did not have one

I'm just hoping I can get this all healed up and ok and I'm really hoping(I haven't checked because I'm afraid) I'm hoping that she hasn't chewed her tattoo off since there aren't that many places to put a tattoo on an earless goat :roll:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy.... that kerens idea is working................maybe keeping the bandage off will allow it to heal quicker.. ....as long as it stays clean.....in which... it sounds like it is... :wink: :thumbup: ....congrats :hi5:

.......hey thanks keren for the idea..... :wink: :greengrin:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    :greengrin: I'm so glad its working for her!

We didnt wrap our guys tail either, just sprayed an antiseptic oil on it every few hours. I'll cross my fingers for you that her tattoo is still there ... sorry but I have to :ROFL: a little about that :greengrin:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah I know it is sort of funny :lol: :roll:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    when I first read that I was like huh? How can she chew her ear off, I thought it was her tail that was the problem, maybe she's chewing her ears because she cant chew her tail, but how on earth can she reach her ear :? then I was like :doh: duh, la mancha :ROFL:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Lol you might need to tattoo her lip like in race horses. :ROFL:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    too funny :ROFL:

RunAround...may be on to something...LOL :wink: :ROFL:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    you know I was thinking the same thing ... you know what they say about great minds ... or is it fools ... :scratch:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :doh:

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    :ROFL: :ROFL: Thats too good. Although I wonder, can a goat chew its own ears? :question: Maybe if it was a Nubian or boer with really long ears, or maybe its like people being able to lick their elbows, some people can do it but not everybody :greengrin:

Oh Keren, I've been meaning to ask you, do they have LaManchas over there or do they only have just the standard Swiss breeds and Nubians?

18. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    She sounds like my grandma's Russell. Her tail wasn't docked short enough for the show ring when she was little, so my grandma took her to the vets to get it a bit shorter. Well then afterwards she wouldn't leave it alone...the vets said she had phantom pain. She's good now, but every once in a while she'll still chase it.

Hey...I just was thinking and maybe it's crazy, but do you think she could have bit it off in the first place?? :?

19. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    See I don't know Jacque, I'm really not sure. I mean, her and nobody else had blood on their mouths, but also there was no tail chunk or blood mess anywhere in the barn and I looked all over :scratch:

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is really strange.......... it is a mystery.... :scratch: