At this moment I want to say I am done with Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Aug 11, 2009.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Dealing with CL-we found out in March we had it in our heard our Nubian, we had, had her for 2 years she was 4 when we got her. I had sent her to be breed and shortly after that was when we found the abscess... about a month later she died. Since then in June we had 4 more come down with abscess. To try and stop the spread we put the three down that had popped their abscess and cleaned everything to the best of our knowledge... then a few days later another one, but neither of their abscess have popped or even lost any hair.. But they have been in a different pen from everyone else... well today while shaving our only milk goat my daughter found one on her and when she shaved it it got nicked and started to ooze... :hair:

Well then you go check everyone else again and my baby born in April has one.. That leave 4 with out, my two pygmy doe, a Nubian cross weather and my pygmy baby born 2 weeks ago.. I have even started the Case back vac. to help stop it and I guess I was just to late... :shrug:

I think I am done... I am saying right now I will never get another goat, or have anymore babies... this is just too rough to go through... I know it is not the worst thing in the world TRUST me I know that but this is more then I want to handle right now... I do not want anyone else to get it and then I look bad, I do not want to buy anymore goats and have them get sick too, or have babies and have then get it too...

So I guess at this moment what my thoughts are , just let everyone live out their lives happy and together and treat the abscess as they come and not expose anyone else to it...

Now the hard choice is Fair starts Sunday, do I still take the 3 that show no signs that are signed up to go or do we just keep all of them home.... The vet said today bring them if they show no signs they are okay...

The worst part is the doe that we found one on today is my daughters and they are pretty tight.. For a teenager and a goat...

The sad part is that you get one answers from this person and another from someone else and on some points they are total opposite and these are Dr I am talking to and the vaccines company..

Sorry just needed to tell someone my thoughts...

Donna B

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh Donna, I'm so sorry that your going through this. I have a friend who was going through the same thing a few months ago. She thought her goats had lungworms so she treated them several times, turns out they had CL instead. 3 of her goats developed the CL lumps. I went over to help her drain one to make sure that's what it was and sure enough it was CL. She made the hard decision to give those 3 goats to a rescue. She's since threw her hands in the air and gave up on breeding. She still has 6 goats who haven't gotten any lumps yet. I keep urging her to pull their blood and get them tested but I think she's just too scared to get the results back.

I know having CL in your herd isn't a death sentence but like you I would definitely be frustrated too!! :hair: :angry: What ever you choose to do I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your family and your goaties :hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You can send the insides of the abcess into Hygia lab in California and have a vaccine made from it to protect the others :shrug: just a thought.....

I am so sorry that you all are going through this :hug:

As far as fair - I would say NO - they could have the insides on a hoof, rubbed on their side and contaminate everything at the fair expecially since most do not vaccinate against CL.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh no :hug: how tough it must be.

5. Sorry to hear this. I hope things get better for you? :hug: :pray:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug:

Usually if an infected goat is given the vaccine it will cause the disease to worsen.....but I will need to say that taking potentially infected goats to an area where other goats will be would not be a good thing, they could have lung abcesses and sneezing or coughing can spread it to un infected goats.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I know I have had a few times that I wanted to give up and sell the entire herd, not related to CL or anything like that, but just tough times learning the ropes and everything. Maybe you could sell your goats and sometime in the future you could get back into them when you're ready and start out with "clean" goats. I'm sure you'll never be able to get goats off the mind completely. Once a goat lover, always a goat lover. :wink: But it might be good for your to just take a break for awhile.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

So sorry you are dealing with this. CL is a nasty thing. I agree that i wouldnt take any of the goats to the fair. You run the risk of infecting other herds.
    beth

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would test the infected and those who dont show any signs to make sure and then you can get the vaccine made up so it is specific for your strain of CL -- I know Allison has information on this and she suggested it, I would look into that

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    PLEASE do not take the goats to the fair.

There is NOT a vaccine for goats and CL. It is only approved for SHEEP. Most vets will NOT give you the vaccine to give to goats. It has caused bad side affects and more then that death in most all the animals. CSU Vet school just did a clinic on that (and other things), telling people NOT to give it to goats.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The vaccine made by Hygia is specific for goats - and there are many many that vaccinate with the CL vaccine without any side effects at all....... :shrug:

12. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am so sorry you are having to go through this :hug:

I agree with everyone else that the goats shouldn't be taken to the fair. No need in taking the risk of infecting other unsuspecting breeder's goats. Just my :2cents: though :wink:

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this very difficult issue with your goats. I, also, wouldn't take your goats to the fair.

I am trying to learn all I can.. do you have pictures of the abscesses on your goats? I'd like to see and hear more detail of them, and if there are any other symptoms.

Do all abscesses pop and drain?

Are there certain areas of the body that have CL abscesses or can they be located anywhere on the goat?

If a goat gets an abscess is it always CL or can it be something else?

Maybe I should ask these on a new thread but I thought that personal experience would be helpful.

14. Sorry Donna :( I know the feeling and you're definitely not alone. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Here you go I hope this helps...

http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/

There's a pic of where abscesses can show up in the link.
    You don't want the abscesses to pop on their own. You will want to lance them and drain them yourself of course wearing gloves so that you won't get it. You can also inject formulan(sp?) into the abscess so you don't have to lance it, I don't have experience with that, I've only read about it.

16. cypressfarms

cypressfarms New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    kritter keeper,

Sorry for your loss, that's got to be difficult.

Does anyone know if CL can be spread to cattle?

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not sure about the contamination in cattle...

Thank you bheila for posting that very informative link!

18. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Cypress- I read that horses can get CL. I will have to look around again and see about cattle.

Your welcome Liz :)

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  20. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas

As for cattle and CL we live on a dairy farm so that was the most importan thing to think about for my husband families sake.. and in all my research and talking to the Vet that I did our personal vet who is also the dairy farms vet and one from Wash Unv and one from Michigan state Unv it can not be spread to cattle-- and horse can get it in a different form called pegion fever, put our vet has never seen it spread to horse in our area..

Donna B