At what age will a doeling experience her first heat cycle?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Aug 28, 2009.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I am curious as I would like to re-breed Spirit next month for a March kidding, but Misty is still at her side. She will be 2 months old on September 1st. I was thinking about putting my buck out with her for a few weeks. How old can a doeling be sexually mature enough to be bred and become pregnant? I am planning on building a pen for him in their new pasture, and rotating him and Misty so that they both get enough graze time but are not allowed to be together.

Also, what age is best to first breed your young does?

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    A doeling CAN breed as early as 2 - 3 months. But its not advisable.

Some people on here breed their Mini does at a year old, some choose to wait longer for the doeling to mature more. Some say that eight months is fine.

I personally prefer a year old, though my little Sugar (nine months) might have gotten caught. Not sure yet.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep;...those little girls start young! I had 2 doelings start at 3 and 4 months.....and I do not have them bred until they are at least a year if not a little over.....give the babies time to grow. Also, as far as breeding mama, please make sure she is in good condition, back to back breedings and kiddings within a year is hard on them.

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I breed at 1 and 1/2 years old for the does.

5. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks. I'll make sure he has a pen ready for him before I put him out. Mom is in great shape. She is FAT, and bouncing around like a crazy thing.