The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 3 mo old Alpine kid who was selenium defficient and a case of some sort of parasite on her coat. I took care of her issues. Took her to the vets , over time became UTD with her shots. She had a "clicking" sound in her everyother step she would take. I was not too concerned at the time bacause she is healthy now. She is beautiful. She has had a whole year to get healthy with the proper food and diet with minerals added. I origanally bought her as a pet only. But now that she is grown.. 1yr + 3 mo, I think she would make a great milker!! But I noticed that she still has that "clicking" sound when she walks. She walks fine and she is not in any pain. I recently read that a kid who was deficient could get athritis. Could this be what the "clicking" sound is... athritis? I would like to breed her and wonder if this is ok to do?? Any thoughts or suggestions please, would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I have some 'clickers' too.. They are all good too :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I, too, have some does who 'click' when they walk. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them, they just make a little more noise than the rest of the herd. :laugh:

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Alright everyone, are your does that click the more dominate does in your herd? I have a wild theory on this based on Elk behavior...

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
yep..I have clickers too...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goathiker.. Yes, my clicker is the dominent doe. Why? What's your theory? I'm interested.

Thanks everyone.. I feel better now that it's common.

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
So, some background...In an elk herd the dominate bull leads the herd and the dominate doe follows with lesser bucks fringing the herd, keeping the does in a group. In a goat herd (feral) the dominate doe leads the group and the dominate buck follows behind the group keeping the lesser does together.
Elk bulls click their knees to tell the herd where he is.
My theory is that dominate goats do the same.
My proof is that when my pack boys get older and lose their lead position, their knees quit clicking, every time.
They are in an unnatural grouping but, still guiding the herd?

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
interesting goathiker...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Uh.. That is really interesting goat hiker! My 'herd queen' clicks the most. Her daughter clicks only once in a while.. That is really interesting!
Made me want to go research it some more! :)

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Watch your herd out at pasture closely. It could be that the clicker is the one they follow and the disciplinarian is taking the bucks roll.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Wow this is very interesting and I am going out now to see who clicks. At this time there is a transition between herd bosses. The long standing boss is 8 now and some of her daughters have been trying to take over. Will report what I find.

Well for my herd this doesnt apply. I just walked into 40 adult does and id say 90% of them clicked while they walked in some degree. The herd boss was laying down and didnt wanna part take in the experiment but outta the half dozen or so under bosses about half were real quite in their clicking. Notice a few babies clicked and the two smallest and lowest on the rank scale also clicked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts