The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to ask if it was possible for a goat to get SO extremely attached to her owner that she gets depressed when they leave?
My 3 and a half year old doe, Chloe, starved herself this weekend while we were away for 3 days.
I had a friend come over to milk her and feed the kids, and she said Chloe would NOT eat. At all. And she was restless in the milk stand.
When I got home and she saw me walk in from the car, she was louder than I had ever heard her, and very restless. She has a hard time keeping weight on anyhow, but she looks even more under weight.
When I took her out for milking, she pranced to the milk stand, and ate everything I gave her, and then some. I topped her off with a banana, apple, carrot, 1/4 cauliflower, a stick of celery, and a small cucumber. She then went back to the pen and ate her hay and her alfalfa. Seemed just fine after she knew I was home. And quieted down.

I was just curious if anyone has a goat that gets this depressed when you leave?
We are going camping again, for 4 days, for our 10 year wedding anniversary next weekend, and I am really worried she is going to do the same thing.... :(

How do I help her to cope while I am away?
Or should I plan on never leaving the house for any length of time ever again?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We have a goat the same way, but not THAT bad.

Are goats allowed at the camp ground? :laugh:

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Our doe used to chase our car when we would leave. Luckily, she has gotten rid of that habit!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She can be your seeing eye goat :laugh:

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you make recording of you talking and play it for her in the barn while your away?
That's brilliant! I will have to try that!
I never imagined she would get so attached to me. She normally stands perfectly in the stand for me to milk, but she gave the goat sitter a very hard time, danced all over the stand, and made it very difficult to milk her.
I talked to my goat mentor Sue, and I think we are going to end up taking my 4 darlings over there for a few days. I just hope Chloe will be Ok.
I love her SO much. She is such a sweet and gentle goat.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Sleep in an old shirt for a few days and give that to her also. Your smell will help comfort her.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We decided not to go on the trip.
Many reasons, but I am glad I won't have to worry about my baby getting depressed. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts