The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Attention electric milker peeps

I just bought a goat that was milked with a high quality milking machine. She has a lump on each udder where the teat meets the bag.

The owner said this must have been from the milking machine. I am inclined to believe her as both lumps are in the same spot.

Has anyone else seen this before?

I've never used an electric milker so I have no experience in this at all.

Just sent off blood for CAE, CL and Johnes. But I really don't think it's CL.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I don't have an electric one but a hand pump one. I think it's the same principle though maybe not, but my girls don't have lumps... I'm careful with it though to not use too much pressure. Hopefully for your sake and your does sake it is not CL.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've read on here those lumps could be a simple issue that massaging with udder balm will help.

I use a hand milker too and have no lumps. Though I imagine it is possible to get those from a milker. If they did appear on my doe, I would massage and work them out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read on here those lumps could be a simple issue that massaging with udder balm will help.

I use a hand milker too and have no lumps. Though I imagine it is possible to get those from a milker. If they did appear on my doe, I would massage and work them out.
Hmmmm... I will start trying to do that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her bloodwork came back all clean.

I have been massaging the bump during and after hand milking, but its been three weeks since I bought her and the knots have not diminished in any way.

Also they are kind of a pain to milk "around". I keep checking her for mastitis as, it may be my imagination, the lump gets more prominent

I just dont get it.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
Do you have a good goat vet who could look at them? I wonder if they are somehow permanent now. It would be better to have someone physically look at them to help you determine what would be the next course of action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts