Attention Milkers

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by powderhooves, Oct 4, 2009.

1. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Okay....my girlfriend has lamanchas. She is currently milking three. She can't afford a milk machine but found, online, this guy who invented this device for milking himself and is selling them to people interested or selling just the directions if the person wants to make it themselves. I think she paid $150. She said it has a pump like a blood pressure cuff and it attaches directly to the mason jar so she doesn't have to do the milk filtering, etc. with hand milking. She said his 5 year old granddaughter can even milk a goat in minutes with this. I will try to get the web address. She said he is selling about three of them a day now that people have heard of him. Have any of you seen or heard of this??? I'm anxious to see it myself since I fill in milking for her when she goes out of town or needs help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard of milkers like this btu the idea is that they keep the orifice open all the time and I hear this isnt good :shrug:

3. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you Stacey...and yes...I remember he was from Alaska. I'll pass this information along to my girlfriend. I'm so glad you told me you heard it wasn't a good idea.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    looking from the picture, the thing that goes on the teat is just a syringe, not a shell and an inflation. Since there is no inflation, that means it just sucks and sucks, so it doesn't pulsate. Since it just sucks and doesn't pulsate then damage may be caused to the teat from so much pressure that isn't being released.

5. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    So are the Udderly EZ milkers or whatever those are called pulsator types or do they create too much suction, too? I have one for emergencies (like if I had to be gone from the farm on short notice) but have not ever used it...

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Udderly EZ's are okay, they are the same idea as a regular milking machine, they have a hard plastic shell, and a silicon inflation, and it pulsates like a milking machine, except it has a handpump on it :)

7. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I've been using an Udderly EZ on my Nigi's and it works great. The goats seem to like it because it is so fast. It is probably easier to clean than the Henry Milker as there is no long tube to clean. I bought an extra Udderly EZ pump, as I don't want to be without one.

To buy the extra pump and an inflator, I contacted the owner/manufacturer on the website and they gave me a price break. The first one I purchased from Jeffers Livestock to save a few dollars.

Compared to an electric machine, the EZ Udder is quite cheap, and it is quick.

8. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    ok i saw this in a goat magazine article.. get the top of a spritzer bottle attach 1/4 inch tubing like used for aquarium pumps ,, got mine from hardware store.. attache 30 or 60 cc syringe to other end and use that for milking.. as the spritzer is manipulated... does this keep the orifice open or should i just forget it and get the ez milker?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that also is like the above mentioned milking device -- it works off continuous suction

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Stacey said, there is no pulsing, it is continuous suction that gets tighter and tighter with each squeeze of the trigger, I won't reccomend the suction type to anyone who needs to use it on a daily basis. I had a purple teated doe for an hour after I used it.

This would have been the Maggidans milker as well as the same concept with the handmade one using the spray bottle head and tubing.

11. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    oh gosh i am so glad i found this forum,,,not using that contraption.. am learning so much here...

12. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I tried making the one (from the directions) using the syringe barrel and then aquarium tubing and squeeze handle. It sucked, and not in a good way. I could never get it to work worth anything. My girls didn't even want to let down. I had to hand milk some, and then try it. It still didn't work worth anything; I tried it 2-3 times, gave up, and handmilked. I finally just took it apart and saved the tube for tube feeding, chunking the rest of it.

13. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I'm really glad you brought this up! I was thinking about getting a milker and now I know to go the the EZ one. I will only have 2 or 3 does to milk in spring, but next year...quiet a few more!

14. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I bought a reconditioned milker off ebay very reasonably. Now I'm getting a pump to work it and will set it up so everything except the tubing/claw/infation is inside the house. I'll have an on/off switch near the milkstand.

I have a 4th freshener that is a dream to hand milk and 2 FF milking now with 2 more FF coming online soon. All except the Nubian are heavy milkers or will be when they freshen.

15. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    I have udderly EZ and it works very well. I hand milk most of the time but sometimes I use that. I usually uses it on the ones that don't like to be hand milked because I just started milking a year ago and I'm afraid I'll hurt them or something.

16. critter sitter

critter sitter New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I have both the EZ milker and the Henry Milker. I was interested in one of these do to hand and elbow problems. I'm not trying to bad mouth or put anyone out of making a living, just stating my experience.

The EZ does have a hard teat cup with soft inflation but mine does not pulsate as someone mentioned and there is no way of knowing how much pressure you are putting on udder. It is pretty easy to clean but some of my does hate it and kick at it.

The Henry Milker does not have soft inflation, only hard cup. It does not pulsate either, however you do have gauge that tells you how much pressure you are exerting. It is kind of difficult to clean with the hoses and small adapters. I experienced problems with keeping a seal around fittings that go through jar lid. I ended up putting silicone around them to keep a tight seal. ]

I can't imagine that either one is real good for the udder do to not pulsating and I would only use occasionally.

Overall, both are pretty slow, (keep in mind you can only do one side at a time)and unless there is a special circumstance that I need to use one, its just easier and less hassle to hand milk. :GAAH:

Just my opinon. :)

17. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Darn, I think I'm going to have to save up for one of those cool Udderly EZ's! That looks like a great option for my brother for chores when our 2 doelings are eventually bred and kid out. He has no patients and I could see it ending badly, but I'll be in university so milking will be his chore on weekdays.

18. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I just wanted to put my .02 in. I recently ordered a Henry Milker from Henry off of ebay. First of all, he was very nice, prompt shipping ect. No concerns there. But when I got the milker, I had a lot of trouble believing/understanding where the $150 price tag comes from. Never the less, I figured, his time putting it together was worth the money if it worked. I set it up according to the directions and went out to try it. Vanilli kicked it off 3 or 4 times and jumped and danced like she never has done when hand milking. I thought, maybe just a new thing, kept trying it and trying it. But I noticed that when being milked, there was just a very small stream of milk coming out of the teat and it took FOREVER to get just a cup of milk and this is when she was full and leaking! I was continually having to pump the gauge up to his maximum recommended suction which wore my hands out worse than milking did. Needless to say, I emailed him and am going to return the device. BTW he removed his "guarantee" from his website and according to ebay is not taking returns. He said he would refund me the cost of the "machine" if I returned it so I am out shipping both ways :::sigh:::

19. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    thanks to all yhe info was very helpfull