ATV Accident

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Goats Rock, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    My family has a farm and it butts up to my grandparent place. (Both are gone, now) My elderly aunt and a couple cousins have houses back on a lake that my grandfather and his brothers had dug back in the 1920s and '30's.

The cousins have children that are late teens, bunch of boys. They all ride 4 - wheelers and dirt bikes. I've said for years they need helmets. No one listened. (I'm the oldest cousin and a fuddy duddy because I don't drink and do stupid things) .

I'm not sure the details but I know no helmet was worn. The ATV flipped on my cousin's 19 yr. old son last eve. He was killed instantly after his head hit a root.

His mom and sister had just flown back to Fla. when the accident occurred. Imagine being met at the airport by a stunned husband and turning around to come right back.

What in the world do I say to my cousin? She and I were close as kids, but as adults, I haven't been able to go on all the trips etc. as I had the farm. So we are friendly, jut not best friends like 40 years ago. I feel so terrible for her.

WEAR HELMETS!!! Your head is fragile.....

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I am so sorry! You do not have to say anything. Just be there when she needs.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Oh no :( I am so sorry

My best friend's brother was in a 4 wheeler accident. he and the 2 other boys were ok, but the boy who was driving got his head crushed by the roll cage. They pulled the plug. Then, exactly one year later, his mom lost her battle to cancer. We don't have a 4 wheeler anymore for that exact reason. If we need to check cows, we take a truck, or just walk out there. They are too dangerous. Especially too dangerous for kids who are not mature enough to operate them.

Again, I am so sorry :(

4. Lisa Storksen

Lisa Storksen Member

May 29, 2019
    Oregon
    I am so sorry for your family's loss. We all have our time to go, but so young is a tragedy and a great loss.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry. That is just awful. Unfortunately there isn't much you can say. Maybe the other boys will learn from it.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    No need to say anything other than "I am sorry, and I am here for you."

Our children do not have motorized things, other than a roll cage enclosed go kart with harnesses. Just 2 years ago a boy in town was crushed by a 4wheeler. Helmet or not, wouldn't have mattered for him. They hate us for it now, watching the neighbor kids rolling around on toys all day.

7. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm so sorry. I'm one of the only people in our saddle club who wears a helmet and I've taken a little teasing for it but I don't mind. I've had two concussions coming off horses with a helmet ON and I hate to think what state I'd be in if I hadn't been wearing one. My former riding instructor bashed her head falling off a horse without a helmet and ended up with permanent damage. She lost her sense of taste and smell and some of her memories, but she was darned lucky there wasn't any other brain damage. She usually wore a helmet but didn't that day because it was just a short little jaunt in the snow. Sure makes me think long and hard about ever getting on a horse without one.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Be yourself. Treat her like you would want people to treat you. Kindness, suppport, and listen. Be patient & kind.

HMNS, Angel A, Iluvlilly! and 2 others like this.
  9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    damfinos story reminds me of a friend. When she was 12 she was home alone and riding her horse even though she wasn't allowed to when nobody was home. The horse got spooked and flipped on top of her. The only reason she is still alive is because the brand new neighbors moving in herd her screams. She was in a wheelchair for I believe 3 years. She has some spinal damage, and still goes to the PT for her spine, knees, and shoulders.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    So sorry for your loss.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Thank you all. Everyone was there tonight. Including his 3 cousins he was riding with. The emotions and sadness were so thick you could cut it with a dull knife. His mom, well, she is beside herself. Bad deal all around.

You just never know when it's your time to go....

12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’m so sorry for your loss. That is so terrible. Helmets are very important.

Keeping you all in my thoughts.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry. :(

Very good advice by all.

14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

All our prayers to you and yours. Body language speaks volumes and kind gestures show you care.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    (grouphug) My cousin is not doing well at all, her husband is worse. I've done lots of listening! (in between goat chores- that never ends!) Well, they head back to Fla. with the coffin in cargo, I think tomorrow. They live in Tampa, so all the friends etc. are there. Hopefully, the friends will help them weather this horrible storm. Thank you again for all your kind comments.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Continued prayers for your family.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Many prayers to you and your family. The loss of a child is devastateing. Its takes time to even want to try and get better. I suggest grief counseling. It really helped us through our loss. Being honest/kind/ and just listening helps soooo much. Its a rough road.

HMNS and Iluvlilly! like this.
  19. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Many prayers for you and your family. Losing a child is an unimaginable loss. Prayers for all.