The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I just signed up for an account here because I've been looking around the forums and tried things but I wanted to make a specific post after today.

Two weekends ago my wife and I went to the auction (I know I know.....) and ended up with two goats. A Nanny Kiko/Boer about 2 months old and a Nubian milker about 5-6 years old(?).

We got two because there are our first goats and we heard it's not good for them to be alone. We're just starting out but we'd like to have more in the near future.... not from the auction.

My daughter named the white baby goat, "Color", and my wife and I named the Nubian "Judy". Judy had a number 14 tag on her like she was a production milker so we figured they were done with her and wanted some "fresh blood" so that's why they sold her at auction.

When we got them home I noticed both of them were Anemic by Famacha testing a friend taught me on her farm. So I panicked. :eek:

That night I dosed them both with Valbazen according to label and the next day we rushed to my friend's farm for her to look them over. She told me they were both very pale pink but not "white". She gave me Equi-cell to give them both every day and dewormed them both with Prohibit. She also told me to give them probiotics every day for a while.

Weights are Judy-> 124lbs, Color->20lbs

She also told me the baby needs to be bottle fed at her age (and was horrified they sold her at an auction) and to come back in two days to do fecals.

We also started giving alternating injections of fortified B-Complex and Maxi-B 1000 (B12 1000mg) once per day. One day B-Complex, the next B12.

In the meantime I noticed Color start to poop out a lot of white "grubs" which I later found out were tapes. Judy and Color both had some serious diarrhea when I got them.

On that Tuesday I gathered fresh fecals and proceed to my friends house to do counts under her microscope. Suffice to say Color had about 100/gram and Judy was loaded. I believe it was about 2800/gram. (something crazy that made my friend say "That's totally unacceptable!") I started picking up all their poop from their area to minimize the parasites.

5 Days later (1 week after having the goats), Judy started pooping solid and Color started pooping soft (not runny), we went back to my friends house to redo fecals. Parasites were almost none existent in these fecals but we noticed a lot of Coccidia in Color. We started her on Albon for 6 days. The next day after her first treatment Color started pooping solid finally!

We dewormed Color and Judy on the 10th day with Valbazen and Prohibit. (this past Wednesday)

I continued to worm Color with Valbazen 3 days. No tapes, solid poop and her eyelids are getting redder

Color didn't really want to be bottle fed at first, but now comes when I call her (2 weeks later) and jumps in my lap to drink up the milk. I'm giving her vitamin D milk with Probios in it twice a day. She's a pretty awesome baby goat. I was most worried about her because I've heard how hard it could be for babies to recover.

We milk Judy once a day in the morning. Usually she gives us about 1 1/2 cups of milk which we give to the baby one of the two feedings. Every morning Judy has clear/white snot, tearing eyes, and sometimes a flemmy cough.

Today she only gave us 1/2 a cup of milk. (first time) And today her poop was like soft blobs. No pellets. I'm worried for Judy and I'm not sure what more we could do to help her and Color recover.

Am I doing anything wrong? Am I missing something? It's been 14 days since we got them.

To Recap every day they get:
  • 7g Probios
  • B12 or B-Complex Shot given according to weight
  • Equi-cell 10cc
  • Color: 2 8-10oz of milk
  • Valbazen/Prohibit 1st day, 10th day after that and 10th day next Saturday

Thank you for any help you could offer to get these girls healthy again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,722 Posts
Valbazen is usually be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs. It sounds like you are doing what you can for them. It takes time to expel all the worms and to get rid of the anemia. But it sounds like you have a great goat mentor.

Have you taken a temp on them yet? Judy may have shipping fever or the start of a respiratory infection. She may need antibiotics. You can use Tylan 200 for over the counter. Nuflor or Draxxin is very good but are both Rx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valbazen is usually be dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs. It sounds like you are doing what you can for them. It takes time to expel all the worms and to get rid of the anemia. But it sounds like you have a great goat mentor.

Have you taken a temp on them yet? Judy may have shipping fever or the start of a respiratory infection. She may need antibiotics. You can use Tylan 200 for over the counter. Nuflor or Draxxin is very good but are both Rx.
Thank you. I'm grateful for the help my friend has been able to give us. On top of the diagnosing she's taught us how to trim the hoofs, brush them and regular care.

So I seem to be doing things right?

I have not been able to take a temp yet. That's the only thing I haven't done. I purchased a thermometer from the Farmers Exchange but it seems to have the mercury missing (called the manufacturer, was a defect) so I need to return and exchange.

I'll take temps later and post them here.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,722 Posts
You can just buy a cheap digital thermometer from the baby section of a grocery store.

It does sound like she may have some sort of respiratory infection going on. Could have picked it up at the auction. But some antibiotics should clear it up. Otherwise, sounds like you have everything under control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,400 Posts
I agree with whats been said and advised!!! Temp and antibiotics...poor mama has been through it ...the B's your giving are excellent support..If mom is still struggling with anemia you can add Red Cell 6 cc per 100# ..once or twice a week if she's a 3 on the famancha score but a 4 or 5 score should be done daily for a week then once a week after that..I like to double day ones dose to get them started ..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
I third whats been said about possible "shipping fever" aka pneumonia. It can happen in all goats and especially ones who went through a sale barn.

I like an oxytetracyline (LA 200, Biomycin, Duramycin) 1cc per 20lbs once a day for 5 days.

Yes get a digital thermometer from any drug store or grocery store and you take their temp rectally. 101.5-103 is normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I took temps.

Judy is 102.2 and her poop looks very watery now compared to this morning even.

Color is 104.0

Thoughts? I can't get to farmers exchange today because they're closed until Monday. I could give Judy some activated charcoal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,400 Posts
Colors, temp is a bit high...if he is doing well otherwise I would re check in the cool of the evening..if its still high I would get him on antibiotics..Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice or for RX Nuflor is a good choice..

Give Joy a good dose of Pepto to sooth her tummy and help dry her bum
Electrolytes to keep her hydrated (recipe to follow)
C D antitoxin is needed..if you dont have any or cant get it Milk of Magnesia 15 cc per 60# to bind toxins..Activated Charcol wont hurt either

What color is her stool?? color helps us figure out the cause..which is needed in order to treat correctly..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Colors, temp is a bit high...if he is doing well otherwise I would re check in the cool of the evening..if its still high I would get him on antibiotics..Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice or for RX Nuflor is a good choice..

Give Joy a good dose of Pepto to sooth her tummy and help dry her bum
Electrolytes to keep her hydrated (recipe to follow)
C D antitoxin is needed..if you dont have any or cant get it Milk of Magnesia 15 cc per 60# to bind toxins..Activated Charcol wont hurt either

What color is her stool?? color helps us figure out the cause..which is needed in order to treat correctly..
Yea Color seems to be doing ok now compared to 1 week ago, but her temp is high. She's about a 4/3 on the Famacha score depend on which eye I look at but that's an improvement from a 5/4 two weeks ago. Same with Judy on the score.

I'll check temp again in the morning when I give her milk. Maybe it was the time of day? It's been hot here, but she does sneeze sometimes. Don't know if it's dust or an issue.

Judy's stool is dark-brown/black. It was still liquid tonight when I put them up. I gave her some activated charcoal because it's what I had on hand but don't have any pepto or Magnesia around. I'll need to pick it up tomorrow.

Farm Exchange is closed until Monday so the CD-Antitoxin and/or antibiotics will have to wait. Started giving GSE tonight. I use it for myself as an antibiotic (as well as Activated Charcoal when I have diarrhea) so hopefully it will work for the girls?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,400 Posts
Has she been treated for cocci? With the color and it being watery..I would suspect that is her issue..a fecal will help determine this
I would choose Dimethox or sulmet to treat...1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5.

here is the electrolyte recipe I forgot to post ;)

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar


Mix well and drench or let them drink it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
When I did fecals on the two of them Judy did have Coccidia eggs but I thought it didn't really effect older goats? We treated Color for Coccidia but we didn't treat Judy.

We have Albon, would this be ok to treat her with? It's the same thing we treated Color with. Do we need to retreat Color for Cocci too?

Edit: I found that recipe here in another post and I've been giving it to them both every day. They LOVE it. Judy tries to fight me for it so I need to make sure Color gets at it before Judy drinks the whole thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,400 Posts
Yes Adult goat can get cocci...stress opens the door for parasites, including cocci to multiply and take over...Albon is a good choice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Adult goat can get cocci...stress opens the door for parasites, including cocci to multiply and take over...Albon is a good choice...
Ok, gave her 25cc of Albon just now. Should I retreat Color since she's eating in the same area? I'd been picking up the pellet poop but this diarrhea is very hard for me to remove.

I found this article with reaffirms adult goats get and even die from Cocci. My friend had told me it was no big deal when we found the Cocci in Judy's fecals. I guess it was.... I feel a little stupid.

Will let you know how things go. Color responded very quickly after her first treatment, let's hope Judy does too.

I have them in a small area of my pasture (55x50ft pen) to keep things contained until they get over what's inside them. They have access to Blackberry and other "weeds", hay, and pelleted goat feed w/ Calf-Manna mixed in it.

Update: This morning Color has white snot and crusty/teary eyes. Color does have a lot of energy though and greedily took her bottle. Judy only gave 1/3 a cup of milk from her usual 1 1/2 cup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,400 Posts
many people are not aware adults can get cocci...even some vets shrug it off :confused:
She should bounce back fairly quickly if this is her issue...:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,722 Posts
With them both living together, Color could easily pick up what Judy has. If you are treating Judy for pneumonia, I would go ahead and treat Color
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just thought I should post pictures of Color and Judy. This was from 10 days ago. This was when Color didn't want to come close and Judy still had her old ID tag on. I'll post updated photos later.

Thank you guys so much for your help! I'm super worried for them. They're my first goats.... but I'll NEVER buy goats from the auction again. :(
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With them both living together, Color could easily pick up what Judy has. If you are treating Judy for pneumonia, I would go ahead and treat Color
Sorry for the double post. Will do treat them both when I can get a hold of the antibiotics. Should I retreat Color with Albon for Cocci as well?? :confused:

I really hope Cocci is the problem happybleats. If it is at least I have the medicine to treat it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,722 Posts
I would treat her 2 weeks from the last treatment.

There can be good outcomes from the Auction. You just have to be careful. It is hard not to take something home when you go.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
Usually issues like pneumonia, cocci, and worms all come from the sales barn. I only buy calves from the sales barn now as feeders, and don't even keep them on the property with my main herd. Right away I put tetracycline in the water, give a shot of Draxxin, dose of nasalgen, probios for minimum of one week. Electrolytes available 24/7 minimum 3 days. We also worm once they've been here 2 weeks. Too much stress is hard on an animal.

Your babies are in great hands. Keep us updated. Your Nube is sooo expressional through her face. Cute!
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top