The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
I agree with whats been said and advised!!! Temp and antibiotics...poor mama has been through it ...the B's your giving are excellent support..If mom is still struggling with anemia you can add Red Cell 6 cc per 100# ..once or twice a week if she's a 3 on the famancha score but a 4 or 5 score should be done daily for a week then once a week after that..I like to double day ones dose to get them started ..

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Colors, temp is a bit high...if he is doing well otherwise I would re check in the cool of the evening..if its still high I would get him on antibiotics..Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice or for RX Nuflor is a good choice..

Give Joy a good dose of Pepto to sooth her tummy and help dry her bum
Electrolytes to keep her hydrated (recipe to follow)
C D antitoxin is needed..if you dont have any or cant get it Milk of Magnesia 15 cc per 60# to bind toxins..Activated Charcol wont hurt either

What color is her stool?? color helps us figure out the cause..which is needed in order to treat correctly..

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Has she been treated for cocci? With the color and it being watery..I would suspect that is her issue..a fecal will help determine this
I would choose Dimethox or sulmet to treat...1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5.

here is the electrolyte recipe I forgot to post ;)

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Yes Adult goat can get cocci...stress opens the door for parasites, including cocci to multiply and take over...Albon is a good choice...

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
many people are not aware adults can get cocci...even some vets shrug it off :confused:
She should bounce back fairly quickly if this is her issue...:D

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
I agree..treat Color two from her last treatment if fecal shows cocci...
There are other causes of black/brown runny poop...if she does not show improvement....we wil need to see what else if going on...
here is a link on goat poop and causes..always a good read lol..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.Uf6pbmSDQxc

Once you get them up and going, and you will, I would pull blood on Joy and test her for CAE. I would wait at least 90 days after her last dose of any medication for best results, and test Color when she is at least 6 months old...
I would Keep a close eye on both. Any changes in health...do a temp, check the eye lids, watch them poop..see whats going on there..look for bloat..ect...and of course..when in doubt...log on...we are ;) here it help

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
if Judy is firming up , eating well and drinking plenty..then skip the pepto and MOM..: ) As long as she is eating and chewing a cud , has good rumen function..skip the cd antitoxin as well..sounds like the Albon has begun to work on the issue and clearing things up...as a rule of thumb here..any time I see watery poop..I give C D Antitoxin..it doens't hurt to have it even if they end up not needing it..but man it can save her life if she does need it..so just keep some handy.

As for treatment for puenomia..I would choose tylan 200 over la 200..its better imo for this kind of infection..1 c c per 25# every 12 hours...for five days..

If Judy had CAE or Johnes..Color is already exposed...pulling her off Judy's milk most likely wont make a difference now..but if you want to be on the safe side you can switch her to whole cows milk from the store..do the switch slowly so not to upset tummy..go 3/4 judy's milk 1/3 cows milk a few days then 50/50 then 1/3 Judys milk and 3/4 cows then 100% cows..
Again..testing is a great idea...do wait for about 90 days after Judys last treatment of any antibiotic or wormer..

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
La 200 is 1 cc per 20# : ) which is fine for Judy in a pinch...La 200 is not good to use on kids under 6 months..12 months is better It Interferes with bone & teeth formation both in
while kids are growing.

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Two OTC antibiotics to keep on hand are Tylan 200 and Penicillin : )

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Yes..very thick...Use an 18 g needle and give it Sub Q..IM is very painful..LA 200 burns ALOT...so they will react either way but Sub Q seems to get done faster....I give it in the loose skin where the neck meets the body then get them moving ASAP..walking it off seems to get it out faster...I now i hate giving them stinging meds..

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
The only meds that HAVE to be IM is hormones...all other can be Sub Q...How ever you feel more comfortable..To me IM just seems more painful to them

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
Yes...could very well be the shot, ...you can put a cold pack on the shot area...help with the discomfort..

Anemia take time to recover from...keep with red cell, until you see good color....

temps are good : )

· Super Moderator
36,727 Posts
so glad they took it better...poor Gals..they will feel better for it soon...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.