The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
346 Posts
Favorite dog ever! I have only had two but my dad's family grew up with them so it kind of runs in our family.
Aussies are usually very friendly and smart, with nice dispositions. That doesn't mean that you won't find some hyper ones though. They are working dogs so they do need to get some exercise to keep them busy. I have been fortunate in that both mine have been very mellow, they can get up and go but they don't mind just hanging out :) They are great with livestock if raised around them and they are awesome family dogs! My little brother spends hours playing with our current Aussie, Flo (pictured). They love each other! Anyway, anything else you would like to know? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they exceptionally smart and easily trained? It seems the ones I have been exposed to are very obedient almost naturally. Do they do well with cats and chickens and ducks and all kinds of animals or do they do better with goats and sheep and larger animals.
Are they long lived? Any special health concerns? How are they with other dogs? Are they protective of their people or of the place or more just friendly. That kind of stuff.

·
Registered
10,576 Posts
I have a 3/4 Aussie. He was really easy to train, and he's eager to please. He chases cats, but if you are right there with him telling him to be nice he does just fine. We've let him out to chase our neighbors chickens out of our yard before, but if we aren't telling him to go after them, he leaves them alone. He's great with the goats, besides occasionally trying to herd them. He's really mellow, but my friend has a purebred and he's a bit hyperactive. They have lots of energy, but mine doesn't have as much now that he's older. We haven't had any health issues so I can't comment on that. He's protective of our family, but not overprotective. He does great with other dogs. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
I have Border Collies and a few of my friends have Aussies.
They are wonderful , wonderful dogs :) I LOVE them.
they do need a "job" or they , like any working breed , or any other high drive breed , can be destructive if not kept busy. Take them everywhere you go and they will learn to sit and wait patiently in the car/truck . Take them to get the mail , take the garbage out , you get the idea , these little things add up in a day and make for a well behaved pup , then a even better adult ;) My Collies are great around the animals. I have one that has high prey drive and will kill a duck or chicken if given the chance. But he is the only one I have and I have six Borders. The others I can trust completely , but not that I would leave any dog alone with animals unsupervised. My Borders want to be with me and thats it. Not the animals or a friend. So they will wait for me , and not move till I come out. My husband wants to play ball with them but they will wait at the door for me to come out regardless , lol.
You also got to remember that they are a herding breed and some will nip at the heels of young kids and other dogs , so take that into consideration. If you have another dog , it may not take kindly to that happening. I have one girl who lives to herd , she is from very strong herding lines. She will herd one of my other girls endlessly. But the herded dog will lay her out when it gets out of hand , they handle it themselves and rarely do I have to step in. But it comes with the territory. But get this , the strong herder girl will herd the sheep and goats beautifully but sometimes with a ball in her mouth , :slap floor:
Silly girl , but she is seriously a awesome dog to watch her work , really amazing. Make sure you get from a good breeder , these dogs can have seizures as well. Do your research on the breed and the breeders you take into consideration. Make sure they do testing on their dogs and ask to talk to people who have their pups. Make sure hips/elbows/eyes are tested and check on other testings done as well. And of course meet the parents if you can. That can tell you a lot about the puppies if you are waiting for a litter to be born.
My husband always says , if the breeder won't let you meet the parents , its not a good sign. Temperament is everything.

·
346 Posts
They are very eager to please and very smart so training is usually very easy. They do very well with large livestock but also sheep and goats. Whenever we let the goats out to browse my girl quietly walks behind them with me. They have been great with our chickens and cats. Flo tried chasing chickens once but after getting admonished she doesn't even think about it anymore. They are usually very quick to figure out what they shouldn't do.
I think average lifespan for them is 10-12 years.
Great with other dogs!
They are protective of their family, they let us know when someone is here. Once we tell them it's ok they are friendly with the newcomer.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone through one out on us and I named him Fellow and was deciding whether to keep him or rehome him. The day I had decided to keep him, dad gave him away to a neighbor, before I got home from work. He seemed so smart and obedient and I kick myself for not telling dad sooner that I wanted to keep him. I have always been intrigued by the ones I have seen that my friends or acquaintances have had. It sounds like they would be a good fit for our farm.

·
Registered
590 Posts
They are fun athletic dogs. Easy to teach, loyal to their owners and good watch dogs.Mine like to chase the chickens, but they weren't raised with them or taught not to. They are fine with everything else, cats, horses, rabbits etc. Some dogs have more drive. I personally like aussies that show and can work. If your wanting to buy a puppy make sure that the parents have had their hips, elbows and eyes tested. Epilepsy is also a issue in the breed.
A good place to start is by joining your local aussie club and talking to reputable breeders. They can help find the right pup :)
A lot of aussies end up in rescues due to people getting them and not giving them enough mental and physical stimulation. You can often find adults and puppies for free on Craigslist too. I got mine from people who didnt want them anymore. Pixel was 8 months, pivot 10 weeks and Betty 8 weeks. Betty and Pix are actually mini aussies, but close enough :p

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
We have a Mini Aussie and we just love her to death. She is a blue merle and her name is Pixie. :)

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,979 Posts
My neighbor had an aussie mix, but he liked to chase cars and he got hit one day. My neighbor found a female fullblood aussie. She's red and white and her name is Pebbles. They are BEAUTIFUL animals! I want one of my own so bad!! Pebbles likes to play with our goat sometimes, we don't let her stay in the pen long because we don't want her to get hurt since she's not our dog. I highly recommend shaving them in summer because they can get thick long hair. Pebbles is very very hyper and loves to play, she does have a bad habit of jumping on people and has knocked over children before.

·
Banned
984 Posts
I had 2 growing up. One was very mellow an you could only motivate him with food, the other was very hyper. Both were extremely smart. Both ended up with tumors when they were around 10 years old an had to be put down. Not sure if it was just them or if that something that happens to that breed a lot. They are a very beautiful an smart breed. If I was to have a need for a herding dog an had more time I would prolly get one.

It was mentioned that a lot of them end up in shelters cause ppl don't realize this breed needs a lot of time an attention. Maybe you could foster one an see if it will fit with your lifestyle an if not then you can keep fostering till you find one that fits? That may not work for you but its a thought.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
I have a 10-month-old GSD/Aussie cross, and I LOVE her. She is beautiful, intelligent, and easy to train. She seems to need a LOT of mental stimulation, so it's a good thing we have two other dogs, a big interesting yard, a large family, and lots of other animals. Aussies can tend to be nippy, especially nipping at people's heels. Amanda quickly learned that was a no-no. She loves to "play" with the farm animals, which is also a no-no. She's learning, but I still don't fully trust her around them.
Tonight I tied her in the pasture near the chicken house, to keep raccoons away. (We lost a young rooster to one last night.) Since Amanda goes nuts and barks at almost everything, I'm sure if the raccoon dares to cause trouble in future, it will run away in a hurry. ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.