Automatic Watering

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KatieP, Mar 7, 2017.

1. KatieP

KatieP New Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Getting 3 NDs in the Spring - we're first timers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Our goat pen will be about 50' off the back of our house. We have a hose bib that we could in theory use to run to the goat pen...what are our options for waterers...with 3 little (human) ones of my own I really want to avoid the added hassle of hauling water to the goats...there seem to be a ton of different bucket systems etc. What is best for a few NDs? Thank you!

2. ZebAkers

ZebAkers Goatherd

Nov 29, 2016
    Alabama
    Welcome to goats and TGS! I just got my first 2 (Pygmy/ND mixes) in November and it was the best decision I've ever made, goats are awesome.

My goats are kept about 50 feet from the house as well, and at first I was hauling a bucket of water down to their pen each day (or every other day if the water didn't need to be refreshed). After 2 weeks and a few spilled buckets I decided hauling water was too cumbersome. Now I have a hose running from my house to their house, with the end hanging over their small galvanized water trough to catch drips from the leaky valve (I keep the hose turned on at the spigot). Works great. I just fill up the trough with a few gallons of water, and check it each day. If it needs refilling (low or dirty) I dump the remaining water out, rinse the trough with the hose, then refill. Typically that means that I refill it most days, but occasionally the trough goes 2 days without needing a refill/refresh. The goats stay hydrated, and they haven't complained yet!

Hope you enjoy your new goats, and good on you for doing your research ahead of time! I was irresponsible and jumped right in without asking any questions before bringing my girls home.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017