The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Oh, I have one: how much should a four month old Nubian Alpine cross doeling weigh? I have three the same age p and they are all a little different. I weight-taped them today, and I have one that's 47 lbs, one that's 55 lbs (her sister, they were triplets), and one that's 60 lbs! (She was a twin) Are they all an okay weight??

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
They are a bit small for 4 months old. The 60lb one is better.

My Alpines are 60lbs at 8 weeks, so they should be a bit bigger. But it also depends on how fast the bloodlines mature and the nutrition, both before they are born and after.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hehe, well the nutrition before and directly after these were born wasn't so great, but it's been pretty good for the last month and a half or so. I hope they'll catch up.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I have a yearling Nubian that is right at 30" tall, but she is on the tall side.

For kids as a minimum, and this is really a minimum, you take the birth weight and add 10 lbs for each month so a 4 month old would be birth weight + 40 lbs. The more they weigh the better.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! My 2 that I've actually measured are 27" and 28" so I feel better.
I am always worrying that my kids are too short... I have a 3 year old girl that is 30" and a 3 year old that is 29" and people that come out are always saying they look big.... I always feed they're too small.

My oldest buck, who is also 3 now, is around 34" and is just massive! People really are amazed with how big he is.... The 2 yearling boys are just about 30" or a little taller now.

Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts