Awaiting my girls to go in heat?? Long sorry! Updated 3/5

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by 5andcounting, Feb 22, 2010.

1. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Ok we have 1 part pygmy that is already bred to a different buck. Now we are waiting on the other 4 to come into heat! We have had some extremely cold weather for TN, but this weekend it was in the 60's. The goats are all in the same pen and has a house. But I noticed yesterday that they are playing and bucking at each other and going on. Is it normal for them to start acting like this at the change out season or are they starting to go into heat? Oh and it was to females bucking at each other and then our 2 boys were doing this. But they seem to be playing not trying to hurt each other. Sorry I am new to this! :whatgoat:

The 4 I am waiting on haven't cycled since we have had them, but the man we got them from said they normally start coming into heat in the spring.Any ideas on when I might start watching for it? I mean I know what to watch for, I knew when Ice cream was in heat and we bred her, but We started cycling in the fall and we missed the first one because I had never seen a goat in heat.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Awaiting my girls to go in heat?? Long sorry!

Your goaties are playing!

As far as heats go....are they all mini's? This does play into their breeding season.

3. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009

Yes they are all pygmy's!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

how old are these girls?

5. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009

Pancake is 7 months(not neccessarily trying to bred her), Nelly is 3 or 4 years old not sure,, gizmo will be 3 in the spring, gracie is 14 months.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

so no way there was a buck near them? its odd for that many goats to have silent heats.

7. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009

The bucks are in with them, but I don't think that any of them are in heat or have been. I am just waiting on it. I would like to bred them all except pancake because she is still little

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if the bucks have been in with them and you havent seen any signs of heat -- then they are bred more then likely. Bucks dont wait for days to see if a doe is in heat. BAM its done :p

9. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009

Nelly came into standing heat today, now if drake can figure out how to get up there.