Azaela poisoning

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok heres the deal...my mom has a herd of Toggenberg, Boer goats..3 does 4 wethers and 1 nigi doe....they broke out of the barn last night and ate a good many of the azaelas the landlord had planted around his place....this happened around 11 pm.(Monday)...Mom called me at work and told me what happened and that all but one of them was throwing up...of course the only thing I could think of fast was tell her to give them an activated charcoal slurry, she had none....so because I know that Milk of Magnesia helps a goat rid themselves of "bad stuff" in their gut, I had her dose them with that at 2 1/2 oz per goat, my sister was available to help her and they got them dosed...all were drinking water and all threw up again...I got there at 6pm and had the "rhodedendron poisoning" remedy from the FiasCo Farm site, all goats but the small Togg Doe were eating hay and looked perky....we drenched with yogurt because of the vomiting and I gave the doe the "remedy"...within an hour she was eating hay as well. The only one not vomiting was the 10 month old Boer doeling....she still nurses from her mom....would the milk in her belly caused her to not have such a violent reaction?

I'll know more on how they're doing a bit later today. When I left at 8pm all had good rumen movement and were eating their hay.....besides what I did for them does anyone else have a fast and accessible "remedy"

I also left a pan of Baking Soda out for them.

Needless to say though my mom knows these plants are toxic, the landlord is just that...it's his place, he agreed to make the gate stronger or get rid of the bushes...whichever is easier.

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    so sorry about your mom's goata :hug: but I am glad you got them treated. I don't know of any good remedies... I always refer to FiasCo Farm for stuff like this as well. Keep us posted on the goats and let us know how they do!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the throwing up was what really helped them. The sooner they get the poison out of their body the better. Good work for the fast reaction :hi5:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Way to go Liz. Glad you wand you mom were able to save them all. That is wonderful.

After reading her e for all this time I bought active Charcoal to have on hand. We do not have anything around here that would cause a problem but you just never know. I have it for my 4Hers also.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for your replies....I felt so helpless at the time because I was at work...the only time I've ever personally experienced azaela poisoning was when Angel was just about 6 weeks old...and still with her mom, that alone was very scary, she was taken to the vet and had to have iv meds because her heart rate was almost gone, I don't think I've ever been so scared. With my moms goats I had to think fast, and thankfully they are big and healthy and the M.O.M. worked,them vomiting was the best thing that happened though it was an awful site, I just spoke with my mom and the black tea remedy worked with the smaller Togg doe as well as the yogurt everyone got, she has them out in the pasture and has taken on the task of cleaning the barn....she had some very artistic goats...as she has to scrub walls also. They have diarreah, which of course would be expected with what they've gone through, a 5 gallon bucket of electrolyte water was inhaled y all of them so I know dehydration is minimal.....ALL IS WELL and I think all are on their way to recovery. :)

6. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am so happy to hear all is well... :leap:
    Nobody likes to see anything throw up but it is the best defense a body has to get rid of the bad. I got a call from a woman in a panic a few months back, her goats ate some of her Azaela's and she was mostly concerned about them throwing up and how can she stop it, I told her let them do it, it's a good thing. Most people don't think throwing up is a good thing??? But it is! Usually... :dance:

Great job Liz! Hope they continue to improve!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow Liz..............wonderful job............you saved those goats lives...........I bet your mom is very grateful to you.......... :hug:

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am glad everything worked out Liz! :hug: :hi5: :stars:

9. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I'm glad they are doing good!!! fast acting!!! Does anyone know if rose bushes are suppose to be poisonous??? I have heard that cornbread will kill a goat-Anyone know about poisonous plants around NC??

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Never heard that about the cornbread....and as far as I know, rose bushes are like the bramble goats love, and not toxic.

Mountain Laurel and Hemlock arre the ones that come to mind for your area.

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I heard that the cornbread will swell in their stomach :shrug: we haven't had any problems yet, but there are lots of wild cherry trees around here- I know they are poisonous!!