Azalea poisoning!! Need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cristina-sorina, Jun 26, 2020.

1. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Quick story, we cleaned our landscaping and pulled an azalea bush. I didn't realize hubby parked it near where our goats browse. I came this morning and saw everyone acting lethargic, sick and some mouth foaming and diarrhea. I highly believe it is azeleas they are as they are all affected (the milking does we let out last evening). I'm giving them charcoal , electrolyte water....what else??? I feel so so AWFUL!!!

2. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm also running to get them some mineral oil to drench

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good you got AC on board.

CD Antitoxin 20 cc sub Q every 12 hours ( inject no more than 8-10 cc per injection sight)
    Milk of Magnesia ( 15 cc per 60#) every 4-6 hours

Keep fresh water available. Goat may soil it with dirty mouths from vomiting

Once crisis is over, feed hay and safe natural browse only for a few days. Repopulate the rumen flora with probiotics for 3 days. dark beer can help as well.

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Be sure to flavor the mineral oil if you use it. goats can aspirate the oil otherwise.

5. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Ok, everyone got activated charcoal, mineral oil, cd and t antitoxin, and banamine for the stomach pain. I also threw a B complex in the mix so they'd have some energy to get up and drink. Their water had goat electrolytes in it. If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

It's been at least 15 hours since they ingested it, it was last evening they went out to eat by the trailer with the azalea bush, I didn't notice that happening as my children and husband let them out. I'm surprised they weren't dead when we walked into the barn! They are all laying down, all but one has gotten up and walked around. Everyone is drinking some water. We'll see, God willing they pull through!!

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did you see any cud slinging/green puke around the barn over night or staining the goats? Usually green cud slinging is associated with azalea, rhododendron, and laurel poisonings. It's great they are all moving & drinking.

happybleats and toth boer goats like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Yes, I did, their loafing pen was a diarrhea/ green cud disaster this morning

9. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Plus I saw several of them slinging cud recently. Our oldest goat, she cannot stand, she tries and she just cannot. We tried to help her up but she couldn't hold herself up. She is drinking water and chewing cud still, occasionally screams out in pain. This is torture just watching this unfold, I cannot imagine what these poor goats are going through.

10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh my, I was hoping you were mostly on the upswing side but it sounds like, as herd queen's do, she got the lion's share. Split her Banamine dosing in two doses every twelve hours. (so she can have 1 cc per 100 pounds, break it into two for the next dose). Try every hour or two to get her up, even just a few steps of walking can help the gut motility push this stuff through now that you have mineral oil in her.

cristina-sorina and happybleats like this.
  11. We went through this the first few months after we got goats. Cud slinging everywhere. They only had a few bites though. We dosed with activated charcoal a few times. ACV, probiotics, b-complex. It took 2-3 days for them to be back to normal.

cristina-sorina and SalteyLove like this.
  12. If you give charcoal, have LOTS of water available, makes them super thirsty.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    To help your older doe walk some..use a large towel as a sling..two people make it easier but I have done this by myself. Slide the towel under her and stretch from front le g s to infront of back legs. Hold all 4 corners and help her up..keep the tension on the towel to support her. Let her walk a little but when she is ready to rest..let her down. I would do this every few hours or so.

Beat wishes for full recovery for all.

HMNS and SalteyLove like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you! My friend who is a retired vet stoped by and she did this with me. Also have more mineral oil per my friends request, also gave some ACV. Thank you everyone!

We lost one so far, an 18 month old doeling were planning on breeding in the fall. She had a grand mal seizure and then died shortly after, rough day....

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm so sorry you lost one. Never an easy day :(

You can also give milk of magnesia 15 cc per 60 pounds.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry. I hope the rest recover for you.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  19. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Herd queen Melody just crossed the rainbow bridge...rest easy girl

20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry. I know your family must feel terrible, too. Since you are in crisis mode, you might want to up the Banamime dosage, especially as pain can make a goat lose its will to live. 1 cc per 75# may help. (I say this, as I have done this in extreme cases and the goat relaxed and lived).

HMNS and cristina-sorina like this.