Azalea poisoning!! Need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cristina-sorina, Jun 26, 2020.

1. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    How often? More frequent than every 12??

2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm so so sorry you're going through this!
    Prayers for y'all!

cristina-sorina likes this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh no..im sorry . Bless her heart. ((Hugs)) for your family

GoofyGoat and cristina-sorina like this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'm sorry for the losses, you are truly doing everything you can.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    This recipe may help. Its made for rhododendron poisoning but worth a try here as well.

Lorraine Rhododendron poison recipe.
    About 1/2 cup cooking oil which helps prevent more toxins from absorbed
    1/2 cup strong strong English tea, cold. This is the antidote.
    1 teaspoon ground ginger to help with pain and
    1 teaspoon baking soda to bring up gasses

Mix all together drench 1-2 cc at a time. Go slow as needed. Especially if the goats are vomiting.

7. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    You are doing a great job trying to help them. I'm sorry for your loss :angel::angel:

8. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you for all the support...truly, you have all helped me do whatever I could do to help our sweet girls. Two of our goats are acting almost normal. Two are still touch and go. God willing they pull through. I also tried calcium gluconate injections to help the two touch and goats, this was suggested by my vet friend, she said it could help some of the neurological symptoms...we'll see.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good to hear 2 are recovering well. Hang in there!!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Update: Allie, my friends goat we were keeping for them has passed...Three of our six goats are gone in the past 48 hours.

I have one goat who I've been trying to give 30cc electrolyte water at a time, she's still standing and lays occasionally. She's listless and the big thing is her body temperature, she's 99.9 rectally. I know her rumen is shutting down as I hear hypomotile sounds. I am at a loss of what to do for her....any help is appreciated

12. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Can you put a heat pad on her? You're probably already doing this but is she getting thiamine shots multiple times a day? Can also drench powdered probiotics (read they are better than the gel) or rumen boluses (the cow rumen yeast caps, you drench the powder mixed with water). I think dark beer is good too. Never used it but seen others say it works. You can search the forum for info on it. I'm so sorry you lost another.

happybleats and cristina-sorina like this.
  13. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Also hydration is important.. If won't drink then tubing or sub q fluids

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Take dark beer and let it sit awhile out of the fridge in a pan. You want the yeast in the beer, the carbonation is not important. (Goats don't care abort flat beer!)

The beer helps the ruman.

15. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I did the powedered probio just now. I've been doing the thiamine.

I wrapped two towels and tied them with baling twine around her last night. This morning her temp is 100.6 and she's more lively, she's peed and had clumpy berries. She nibbled on some birch leaves I offered her. We also gave sterile saline in multiple large subcutaneous injections last night as a last ditch effort to get her better hydrated.

I gave one last dose of banamine this morning because she was still bruxing.

Thank you so much for all your help!! I could not believe she was still alive this morning.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm sorry you lost another.
    I second the dark beer! It along with probiotics can help kick start her rumen. Lots of good stuff. About 6 oz at room temp.
    Its good she is nibbling!! If you have pine..offer her some..safe leaves and vines, cedar branch. All good medicine

17. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    What a horrible thing to happen. I'm so sorry. I hope the last 3 goats pull through for you.

MadHouse and cristina-sorina like this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh no, I am so sorry. :(

I do agree with what has been suggested. Prayers sent.

MadHouse and cristina-sorina like this.
  19. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm getting some Guinness, and I'm getting some pine branches from my parents house. Thank you for the suggestions!

We were/are all sad about what happened,my kids took it especially hard. We'll miss our sweet girls but we are so grateful for what we do have. God is good, we are thankful for the three that are doing better.

20. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Okay, so I just came home from work and one of our survivors now is acting off. I took her temperature, 105.6.

Got banamine in her, started penicillin at 5cc per 100# once a day for 5 days (it's all I had on hand as far as antibiotics), and gave her more B vitamin injections.

I did the California mastitis test to rule out mastitis and it was negative. I've been anticipating either a worm/ coccidia bloom or an opportunistic infection in my survivors, just happened sooner than I thought.

She keeps coughing, and with the sudden high fever i immediately thought pneumonia since her immunity is down from her recent life and death battle.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

happybleats likes this.