Azalea poisoning!! Need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cristina-sorina, Jun 26, 2020.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Good call! Yes I would treat for pnuemonia as well. I bet she starts to feel better soon with antibiotics and banamine on board.. Keep tabs on their famacha too.

cristina-sorina likes this.
  2. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I looked at her famacha, it's almost borderline but I really don't want to stress her out even more, I'm going to wait a couple days to run a fecal and treat if needed.

happybleats likes this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes probably if she was laying down a lot, pneumonia is the right guess!

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do penicillin twice a day. It really is a twice a day antibiotic unless you have the long acting version.

cristina-sorina and Goats Rock like this.
  5. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you, I will make sure to give twice daily !

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Cathy Middleton Raphael

Cathy Middleton Raphael New Member

Nov 28, 2018

8. jmsdvm

jmsdvm New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    That goat rhodo recipe is a good one. The caffeine in the tea is the antidote to the toxin in the azalea. Coffee enemas can help.

9. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
  10. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm sorry, I didn't update until now! So out of 6 goats that were poisoned we lost 3. The two competing herd queens died, im thinking they both bullied the others away from the azalea and ate the lions share. We also lost a yearling we were looking forward to breeding this year. We are still super sad when we think about our sweet girls that passed but what can you do?

Of the three surviving goats it took awhile until they were back to normal. One ended up with pneumonia either from aspiration from vomiting so much, or from laying around when she was sick, or a combo of both. I treated her and she's doing great now.

I started all three survivors on calf manna, added some extra oats to their feed and we let the weaned babies stay with their moms to help their milk supply build back up (those were some happy little does who got straight to work keeping mammas empty and stimulating them to make milk). We separated the babies again after about a week and now we are using the milk again. I'm happy to report that our 2 does in milk are almost up to their normal milk supply and they look wonderful. Also my husband and I both feel like the does udders have softened a lot since we let the babies have one more go, the mammas milk out better than they did before this all happened, it's like their udder texture softened.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    That is too bad that you lost 3. But glad the rest are recovered. It's always hard to lose any, especially when you try so hard to save them.

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad the 3 recovered.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad 3 are OK.

So sorry for the losses. :(

21goaties and cristina-sorina like this.
  14. cristina-sorina

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks everyone, we're happy to still have our 3 that survived as well.

We're thankful for what we have and grateful had the opportunity to love the ones we lost.

happybleats likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California