The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Balthazar was eating Azaleas. Not very many. But he did eat some. I just read where their toxic. Should I be freaking out????

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If he ate just a few, don't freak out. Get the activated charcoal in him like Karen said.
Azaleas are very toxic to goats. If he ate azaleas on an empty stomach, he will probably at least get sick to stomach. If he has a fairly full rumen already, possibly no harm at all. This is if he only ate a few.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Yes, azaleas are poisonous. Quite poisonous. Get some activated charcoal in the goat ASAP. Dosing is around (roughly) 2 TBSP per 50lb.

Give him probiotics as well. Milk of magnesia if it gets really severe. But if it was a very small amount... you might not have to.

What is his current condition?

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
It would be wise to remove all of the azaleas growing around your property if at all possible. They can kill a goat if enough is eaten or at the least make them sick as a dog after eating what appears to be a small amount. Rhododendron and Laurel are also toxic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn’t find any of the charcoal last night. I’ll find some this morning. He’s been hopping around all night. In fact he was just hopping down the hallway after the dog. looks normal. Eating and drinking as usual. He’s chewing his cud now. Getting into anything & everything he can. The Azaleas are at my mother in laws house. We went for a scooter ride last night that’s where he got into them. No more nibbling on Nana’s plants. I think he just gave papa MoJo a good scare. I will keep y’all posted. Thank y’all so much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I used activated charcoal from the vitamin section at my local grocery store. We had 4 kids with severe poisoning and that charcoal (broke open capsule and mixed with water) along with milk of magnesia cleared it up within a day.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
If he's hopping around and happy this morning, then I wouldn't worry about the charcoal this time. But you might want to consider digging up your azaleas and disposing of them far, far away. We went through the nibbling of Rhododendrons. We finally got rid of them because it wasn't worth the stress! However, the "far, far away" part is important. We had friends bury their Rhododendrons. Last fall their wether actually dug up the old dried plants, ate them and died.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I used activated charcoal from the vitamin section at my local grocery store. We had 4 kids with severe poisoning and that charcoal (broke open capsule and mixed with water) along with milk of magnesia cleared it up within a day.
Yes same thing.

Reactions: svgoats and MoJo

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I wouldn't worry about giving charcoal now. If he is doing good, let him keep on keepin' on.lol
The charcoal would be good to keep on hand for next visit to MIL's house.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I heard someone got the activate charcoal from the fish section in Walmart - it was called something charcoal, but I'm assuming this would be the same thing? I'd like to get some on hand, just in case.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
It's okay to use in a emergency pinch only if that's all you have on hand because it is being used by someone who has aquariums. Grinding and crushing it up into a powdered form, then straining it out takes valuable time you may not have if things are critical. Also, aquarium charcoal looses it's effectiveness the longer it sets on the shelf before being sold. I wouldn't advise intentionally using it as a replacement for the liquid form.

Most feed stores have a product called ToxiBan, a liquid form of activated charcoal. You're correct in thinking activated charcoal is something to have on hand. When and if you ever need it, there isn't time to rush around looking for a bottle of it.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,893 Posts
Allapulgite is also referred to as Fullers Earth and one of it's usages is a treatment for diarrhea. Kaolin is also used as a treatment for diarrhea. Both of these ingredients are designed to absorb water.

Charcoal has the structural ability to bind with and absorb harmful substances and remove them from water.

The product ToxiBan uses a combination of charcoal and kaolin in one of their formulations.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Yep, attapulgite used to be in kaopectate formula in U. S., until FDA sold out to big pharma in 1990's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts