B12 Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I have a doe that kidded a week ago, Gracie Lou. She is a mall doe that i did not want bred but the bucks had other things on their minds.
    Anyway I have told you that she has a very little bag and we were feeding the twins a little to help mom out, or we would put them on another doe hold her and let them nurse.
    well I have been putting her grain in her feeder and she has not touched it. I dumped it out and put fresh stuff (not that anything was wrong with the other stuff, but I just wanted to try something). Well now we have noticed that she she really is not touching her hay, she stands on the fence and does eat the other does hay, so I took all the hay out of her feeder and put fresh or other hay in it for her. So I thought, Well maybe I should giver her a shot of Vit B12 to stimulate her appetite. So last night I gave her about 2cc of Vit B12, but I gave it IM.
    OK, I just was reading some of the posts about Vit B Complex. That is what you should give and only 1cc per 100# and Sub Q. GREAT. Please tell me that I did not do anything real harmful to her. I did go to Fiascofarm.com and they said Vit B12 is for appetite stimulation also but it should be Sub Q. I have always giver Vit B12 for this.

I hate it when you start second guessing yourself. :angry:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first off have you taken her temp?

vitamin b complex is a good appetite stimulator and so is banamime.....

My vet....... when one of my does was down real bad no appetite....and a temp.. told me to give banamine, nuflor(if she isn't running a temp...then nuflor isn't needed..) and vit b complex 6 cc...:shocked: then 3 days later... if she still is not quite back to normal... ....please note: that this is a boer....her appetite snapped back so fast...... I swear it seemed instant....It was given in the neck muscle area( do you know where that location is?)...banamine on one.....b on the other....I don't know what dose of vit b complex to give your smaller goat...because I am not a vet ...but I would imagine to go at least 1/2 that amount or less on the vit b complex...

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    No she does not have a temp, she its totally normal just not eating enough to take care of those two babies. I just want her to eat more. She is not in any pain so banamime is not needed.

So you give the shot IM also? The site said sub Q, and I was worried that I might of OD her because of the amount I gave her. I gave 2cc for about a 75# goat.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    banamine helps with appetite also ...just make sure ...she isn't sub temp ...because it drops temp a bit...... :wink:

That is what my vet told me ...but if you want to give it sub Q that's OK...when did you give her the 2cc's...?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I gave it last night about 6:30. She was fine this morning, so I guess I should not worry so much.

I tell you I always get confused on what Vit B Complex is for and what Vit B12 is for. :sigh:

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    The 12 should just help her system in general Immun wise. and a im shot shouldn't be bad just painful :greengrin: . Its hard to toxicly od on b vitamins they pass through pee so she might pee dark and stinky, as long as she is drinkin should be ok on that. as for the complex shot I would give it about 2 days then it should be ok for that shot. IMHO good luck with the appitite.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Give her some CMPK, and banamine. Banamine will stimulate her appetite as well.

B-complex will stimulate appetite and give her thiamine. I think b12 is strictly for appetite.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thank you. That is what I though but I forgot. :thumbup:

9. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    B vitamins are water soluble. You can't OD them on it. They just pee out the excess.

Also B12 is necessary for red blood cell production and is given for anemia.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...it is hard to overdose vit b.....what there body don't need...they will pee out.. :wink:

She may have a tummy ache if she isn't running a temp....so probiotic paste and baking soda won't hurt... :wink:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I keep Baking soda out at all times, and I will give her some probias. I have never heard of the Vit B 12 causing a tummy ache. :? I was going to do the probias but she was sure burping up cud, like nothing.

As for it being water soluble, I thought that but I just panicked this morning.

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Mabey she's jsut got the blahs?

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I know. I just worry because she is so little and nursing twins. I just wish one of the other first timers would of had the twins and not her, they have such a nice bag.

I am a worry wart because she is one of my favorite (not that they all aren't), but she is the Grand Daughter of my Liz that I loved so much and lost to cancer. She looks just like Grandam other then the color

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :hug: It'll be ok. Spike her grain with a touch of extra molasses

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sometimes goats don't go eat the baking soda when they need to ...No vit b doesn't cause tummy aches..LOL.....it is just that seeing how she didn't have a temp... that she may of had or have a tummy ache and was/and or a little off ...with her rumen....it does happen sometimes... :wink:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well when I got home and went to feed tonight, she had eaten most all her hay, (43leafs), and she had her grain gone. :leap: I guess that one shot did it. Thanks

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is wonderful news.........congrats.... :leap: :leap: