baaad feet (no "baa'ing intended)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Allipoe, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    So since my neighbors are cool folks and let me use (see here: hijack) their fields for my pony and goats, I took on the care of their rather elderly Nubian wether. He was alone for a looong, long time, and so my buck and his faithful sidekick got to go live with the "Oldmangoat" as I call him. Hes rough. Healthy (aside from worms) and up to date on shots...but his feet are TERRIBLE.

My partner and I trim our NDG feet regularly, and are quite confident in our skills, but this fellow had us intimidated. Our horse farrier had said he was willing to trim our goats at one point, so I asked him to take a look at the old man. Needless to say they are curled over, under, sideways, forward, heels incredibly thick..I mean...god. There is no good thing to say about his feet. The farrier took one look, and got a really nervous look on his face.

He basically said that he thinks the hoof wall is GONE. And that he can't trim anything on the poor old man, because hes afraid he will make him bleed. He basically told me to call the vet! And I believe him. Hes a great farrier, who has done goats before.

My question to all you goat folks out there is this: How in the WORLD do I help him grow hoof back?? Hes finally on minerals with my care now, and getting as much hay as he can eat (instead of the too much grain he was getting before...I have NO idea how he didn't get stopped up!). But its not like I can trim the bejesus out of his feet and put boots on him like we could a horse. And hes pretty old and frail, so I worry that the only solution the vet could suggest would be to knock him out, fix em, and then pray...

Ever heard of feet this bad? Were they saveable? Should I just leave him be, and live out his years walking on his heels? Because thats how he walks in the back. Its awful. >.< Any suggestions/ideas/recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Alli

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank goodness the old guy has someone like you that cares!

I totally understand not wanting to stress him out by messing with his feet but I truly think the sedation wouldn't be good for him either. Best way to handle him would be to have someone hold him and comfort him while you work at trimming a little at a time, it can be done without hurting him...I've seen really bad overgrown hooves before and it took a good month of trimming each week before they even started to look like hooves. Using a sharp pair of trimmers and either Hoof n Heel or iodine trim as much as you can without making him bleed then saturate with the liquid. Doing this once a week should do the trick, he may not be back to normal but he should be much more comfortable. Even if there is sepation of the hoof wall, it's best to get all that overgrowth cut away to allow new growth to form, it will but will take time.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've trimmed feet like that before

soak them first, then trim off all of the overgrown hoof wall, soon they'll look more like goat feet.
    i should make a 'terrible hoof trimming' video.

4. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Thats the thing...in some spots there isn't any overgrowth at ALL. Its like the fleshy parts have overgrown what little hoof is left, so I am afraid to cut. Its all spongy tissue. On one hoof the outside wall is GONE. Its literally nothing there but white. Its scary. D: I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, if he will cooperate (hes a bit irritated at me for worming him today and taking his temperature...hehe) to show you what I mean. But yeah..its like...one doesn't even know where to TRIM, because its nothing but what appears to be "frog". Even on the outside. I have never seen anything like it...perhaps its a disease?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like he may have hoof rot, all soft with no hoof covering...you may need to do some serious hoof rot treatment. Pics would definately be helpful, thanks for offering to post them.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    agreed. take a couple pics. sounds like hoof rot

7. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Ahhh crud I hope its not, as hes in with some other goats and I don't need him sharing... >.< When we were doing his feet today it certainly didn't stink...I haven't noticed any pus or black gunk. And his pen is actually pretty dry. Mostly grass and whatnot. But we shall see. The pictures will help I know.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd still take those precautions, but there are known mineral deficiencies that can cause poor hoof growth..a copper deficiency can cause severe hoof problems from poor growth to soft hooves as well as hoof rot, there are other indications of deficiency too such as a split tail end and rough, dull coat with red hues(if a black goat)

9. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Ooh man. I know hes gotta have all KINDS of deficiencies because he had NOTHING in there, other than grass and lots of sweet goat feed. I know that has some stuff in it..but his coat is gross. Wiry as heck, all splayed looking, and he just looks kinda like a big red Brillo pad. Hes all ginger naturally, so being able to tell if his color was wrong would be difficult. Even with some minerals for just a few weeks hes already starting to get some shiny back. Grrr...people who have critters and then just kinda...forget about them irritates the crud outta me.