The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my 2 and half week old goats on their first walk. They followed all over the farm with the dogs. They did great. Could it be this easy or was it a fluke. One decided he was going to stay with my Dad at his house. When I walked off with the other 4 he hollored at the door, I yelled and waived my arms and he come a running. I guess I will take short walks for now and hope they will continue to stay with me. Tim in NC

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was amazed the first time I took my boys out on the trail. They were three months or so, and I had them on a lead just to be safe...they wouldn't budge, so I took them off and started walking and they stayed right behind me. amazing. nice little goats, innocent, awesome. Now that they're a year and 120 pounds, they're great around me, but they need more time around other humans. they'll challenge anyone thats not me...no good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
peak said:
I was amazed the first time I took my boys out on the trail. They were three months or so, and I had them on a lead just to be safe...they wouldn't budge, so I took them off and started walking and they stayed right behind me. amazing. nice little goats, innocent, awesome. Now that they're a year and 120 pounds, they're great around me, but they need more time around other humans. they'll challenge anyone thats not me...no good.
That challenging of other humans could cause you some trouble some day. I would suggest flipping them onto the ground and holding them there for a while until they quit doing that. There are other threads about that here, and others who have much more experience with it. But it sure works. Goats need to learn that in the world hierarchy all humans are above all goats. Once a goat is on the ground the person who was challenged should come and sit on him until he gives up and quits struggling. That way the goat will understand the lesson clearly. It's especially good if the human teacher is a child.

Here's a link to a thread about goat flipping.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=465

1 - 4 of 4 Posts