The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so 20 hours and momma has not and can not feed the babies remember she had quads only 3 made it game home and she still laying not near the babies....
So looks like bottle feeding..
Try to get first milk out of her but can't get nothing out
Plus so headed to store what should I get I gave each of them when I got home some 2 percent milk about ounce just to get something in them

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Powder colostrum is good for protien and vitamins but it will have no antibodies for your farm...

Get wamr compesses on moms udder..message like mad with peppermint oil to help her milk come down...milk what you can ... it might take some work..time is about out for the kids to absorb the colostrum so the more they get the better...if you only get a small amount of colostrum, mix it with whole cows milk to get each a bit...
then feed babies the whole cows milk straight up.

be sure to weigh each baby and multiply it by 16 to get it in oz's..multiply that by 10% to see how much they each should eat in a 24 hour period...divide that by 5-6 feedings...you want to see flat but firm tummies..not bulgy...;)

Keep a close watch on moms udder...take her temp..
has she lost her after births? is she eating drinking gettingup now?

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Pick up some selenium Vit e gel...and nutra drench if you can

·
Super Moderator
59,218 Posts
Those are all just supplements but if you have no colostrum, it is better than nothing. Problem is it has been 20 hours so they aren't going to absorb much now. I would go ahead and give them some of that. Maybe mix it into whole milk to give them more energy.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok the girl nipple alittle didn't drink much at all

But can stand ....
The next boy has weak legs but drinking. Like crazy
The runt is the first born I don't think will make past tonight can't swallow weak as can be....
I gave momma a shot of complex b got her up whipe her back side of than she sat back down
Hasn't ate or drink nothing since kids born got a bowl of honey water in her when giving birth but that's it

·
Super Moderator
59,218 Posts
Get the temp on the runt. If his temp is over 101, then you are going to have to tube him. You may have to tube the little girl.

How much exactly did they drink and how much do they weigh?

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Karen gave good advice for the babies..
Mom may have ketosis...she needs to eat too...Take her temp, see where she is at..offer green leaves and electorylte ( home made recipe to follow)
drench her propolyne Glycol...or if you cant get that ASAP use 50/50 molasses and water..you will need to drench...also Calcium drench..tractor supply carries it..or Tums in a pinch... several crushed and added to enough water to drench if she wont eat them on her own...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
They nursed or they wouldn't be standing up and sitting up like they are. 20 hours of no nutrition at all, they would be laying flat out. She might not have enough to raise all of them, but those babies have nursed.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Runt died that night

The other to we're up moving around woke up they were dead to....
Lost the whole litter
First time out of ten birth I've lost kids

·
Registered
31,019 Posts
Im sorry...Hows mom doing?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts