BABIES LOST THEIR MOMMY

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KFOWLER, Dec 27, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Went out to check on my goats last night and couldn't find one of the does...went back in and got a bigger flashlight and found her stuck in the muck at the edge of the pond and she was dead. She left behind two kids that are almost 4 months old. They are both eating grain, hay, etc. They would still nurse occasionally when they would catch her still...but she seemed to be trying to wean them. My problem is now...do I bottle feed them or just let them continue on hay and grain only?? They seem to be very healthy babies...they have been very vocal today and seem to be looking for their Mom...it's very sad. Anyways...any advise on supplementing their diets with bottles or just letting them adjust to a "normal" goat diet would be appreciated. :cry:

2. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I would just leave them be with the grain and hay. at 4 months they don't really need the milk so its not necessary to try and get them bottle trained. I am sure they will be just fine. I am really sorry about your lose that is very sad to here about.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww, how tragic :hug: So very sorry for your loss.
    At this age, the chance they would take a bottle is zip...as long as they are eating solids and drinking from a bucket, they'll be fine. They will act like any kid that is taken away from mom for weaning so be watchful for any changes in appetite or behavior due to stress. Alot of TLC goes a long way with newly weaned babies. :hug:

4. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for the input...just came in from outside and they were bedded down with the rest of the herd...guess they will be fine.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wean at 2-3 months so 4 months is plenty old enough to be weaned

Sorry for the loss of the doe though :(

6. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks...she was the herd boss also...going to be interesting to see which doe takes her place??!! I have had her for about 3 years...she was a beautiful big red nubian...she will be missed.

7. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Now what can you do to make it so others don't get stuck??

Tom

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry for your loss :hug: That is so hard, but I agree with the others, the babies will be fine, I sell my babies at 3 months so they are going to cry but it is because they are calling for her.

I see all the time on the news were animals (deer, dogs, calves, elk) all stuck on the ice. So be really careful with the the mud and Ice.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... 4 months old... is quite old enough....I am so sorry... for your loss... :( :hug:

10. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Our pond is very low right now so I shut the gate to that area and will just keep water buckets full and unfrozen. We have had goats for about 10 years and this is the first time we have lost one due to getting stuck in the pond muck...if we would get some rain around here it would help!! But until then I will keep them out of that area. :)

11. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I will never forget the time I lost a calf to it getting stuck in the muck and freezing to death. It's hard to keep everything safe for all animals.

Good luck
    Tom

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is there any way... to put up a fence or a hot line around it?

13. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Not really...I just shut the gate so they can't get back there...they have access to water buckets.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm...I don't know then.... :hug:

15. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I'll just keep them out of the pond area and pray for some rain...I can't for the life of me figure out why she went to that area of the pond to drink...they have made a trail to the area they usually go but it is pretty low...she went right to the muckiest part of the pond. We installed several frost free faucets so they have access to water buckets...guess they will just have to wait until SPRING RAINS before they get to go back in!!!! :wink:

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow... that is odd...that she did go down to get the water.... very sad accident... :wink: :hug: