BABIES NEED HELP [Morning update]

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by Nubiansrus1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Ok Im trying to breath here.

Went out to feed today and one of my nubian does who never had an udder [not a first timer, but first with me] No udder, no belly nothing, and she popped out triplets!!! One was born stillborn, the other two live doelings. But they are soooooo small. They seem semi active, but mom has no milk and they have no sucking response at all. They are semi active. I need help here... i dont have a syringle and hubby dumped my calostrum out cause he thought it was bad milk [grr another story] I cant get to the store, dont have kyro syrup, someone give me the coffee receipt. If i can keep em ok til 6 pm hubby can get me stuff I need but Im not sure theyll make it that long. I cant believe how small there little hooves are. i do not believe she was full term. But not sure. :( Really wanna save these girls. Prayers too please :(

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Re: HELP HELP BABIES NEED HELP

Where are you? Are there any breeders around you who can help? Those babies definitely need colostrum. I know that, here, I could call our local feed store and ask them to bring me some on credit and the guy there would send his son out with it (trust me - been there, done that), but I live in a teeny, tiny town. Any hope of something like that there? I'll be praying for you and them. :hug:
    -Tina

3. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

What about another doe? Do you have any others in milk now? I know that some people here give whole cow's milk to little ones. That wouldn't help with the colostrum issue, but it might help tide them over. I'm just trying to brainstorm any solutions for you. Someone with a lot more experience than I have will have some better answers, I'm sure. Hang in there.
    -Tina

4. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I have does with milk, and I gave them a bit of that in hopes. But Im not sure theyll make it without the colustrum. Yeah the nearest feed store is 25 miles away from me, and they arent the types to do something like bring it out on credit. There all about bucks. :( There soooo beautiful. I cant believe how little they are. There hooves are like my thumb nail and their pure nubian.

5. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia

How are the babies' temperatures? I know that their bodies can't use the food unless they are warm enough. I'm so sorry that I don't have more info. for you. I hope you get the answers you need soon, and I'll continue praying for you and the beautiful babies.
    -Tina

6. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I cant temp them right now, but their body temp seems good. They seem to be doing ok considering. Im pretty sure they are premature, and they just dont have any sucking reflex at all.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

If you have no one in milk - then give them some cows milk - you do not want them to go hypoglycemic. Do you have any honey, pancake syrup, evaporated milk - anything like that?

Do you have any BoSe, vit e capsules?

8. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

I do have pancake syrup. Will that do?

Neighbor is working on getting me some BoSe

9. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Gave em a bit of pancake syrup, and they pepped up a little. So I tried again to feed em, and they drank a little from the bottle. its another does milk. Its not the stick colstrum, but its the day after milk, so maybe itll be a bit better then "normal" milk. Suppose the next 24 hrs or maybe the next few will tell alot. We have 4 baby goats in our house!!! LOL

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

That is excellent - even though colostrum is the best - at this point it is just trying to get them to survive. I would just put a little of the sugar syrup on your finger and put it on their tongue - not a whole lot - but enough to get the blood sugar up.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Do you have nutra drench...that helps also.... I would call around to goat breeders and see if any have some colostrum for you to buy.... The sooner you can get it to them.... the better the chances.... if there is no suck reflux.... use a syringe without the needle.... and stick your index finger in the mouth...as if it where a teat...

If you can't get colostrum at all... try to call a friend ...to take you to the store....
    As for the milk let down on momma.... you can get a shot of Oxytocin....from a vet.... or see if a breeder has that as well... keep trying to milk mom....and lightly bump her.... as a baby would on her udder..... put a syringe to her teat and see if you can get any precious colostrum from her.....make sure the plugs at the end of the teats are open..... feed any colostrum that you get to the babies.....as long as you can get out an ice cube size... they should be OK...... I am praying that all ends up OK... :hug: :pray:

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if you can get colostrum in the first 24 hours thats your goal. if not they can survive without it.

They probably are preemie I hope they make it for you. I have had some preemies before and they made it after a lot of TLC so its possible.

13. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Im not getting my hopes up theyll make it. According to my dates I think they are 8 days early to when it was even possible for the doe to have been bred.

But they seem to be fighting, I took some pics of them so youll could see. They are very pretty colored. One tan and white, one brown and white. The stillborn was a very flashy painted buckling.

Every keep praying and Ill keep you uodated. Thank you Kelebek and tina for quick responses.

Toth- I get drips of stuff, but its like clear... and not sticky... I did squeeze a little of that in the babies, but it was just a few drips.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

i agree with the others. are there any other breeders around?
    I've kept kids alive before by using a colostrum replacement too, mine was calf manna. but goats' is the best of course

I'm rooting for them!

15. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico

:pray: for your little ones I hope they pull through for you. I swear animals are a roller coaster ride of emotions for sure. I am sending good thoughts your way......

16. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

The girls... yuo cant see it but there painted lol. Ill get better pics if they make it. The brown and white one has splashed white down her chest and her belly is white. Then white on the other side of her. Both have big white spots on their head. The tan one has white all over you jsut cant tell.

[​IMG]

Thank you goinggoaty, they sure are. Im exhausted lol

17. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

Oh they are so precious, I hope they make it.

18. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Oh my! Hang in there, I think they'll make it! If they are not sucking, can you tube them? I've done that before and had goodluck. Of course, if they'll nurse -- all the better. You said you had a doe in milk with "day old" colostrum. Thatmight help too! Good luck! Will they try to stand at all yet?

19. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Im trying, its exhausting. They were suckling but they are now starting to get the hang of it. Was squeezing milk in there from the nipple at first. Gave them pancake syrup and they pepped up a little and drank a little milk. They are trying as well. They try to stand, but can not, their legs are way to weak, and sooo fragile and weak looking. :( The mom has 4 day old babies, but i was working on getting her to stand on the milk stand, so i have been milking her as well, just happened to have the day old milk in there. Weird how that happened? Had colostrum too, but it appears someone threw it out. Grr hubby now says it wasnt him.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

the day old stuff is better then nothing for sure at this point. They are really cute I hope they make it.

Dont force to much milk into them if their body temps are low that can kill them. SO make sure they stay above 100 so that they can digest that milk