The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three kids that are 4-5 months old. Two Nubian/LaManchas and an ND. Since about a week ago, they started leaving grain in their bowl, and now they aren't even touching it! I have them out on a pasture with lots of weeds, trees, etc. I wormed them recently, and they just finished a five day round of cocci treatment. They don't appear to be losing weight, but I'm worried they won't grow properly without grain. :confused: Are they refusing grain because they like the pasture fare better? Will they be alright without grain?? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feed before and after the pasture and they're equally uninterested. :? I did put in a couple separate buckets this morning (had been feeding out of one) and it seemed to work a little better, but they still didn't finish their grain. :( I have seen them chewing their cuds, so I think their rumens are functioning alright. Maybe some Probios just in case?

·
Super Moderator
59,325 Posts
It never hurts to do Probios. Are there weight gain issues? If your pasture is very good, they may not even need much grain.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They don't seem to be losing weight, but I would love for them to put on a little bit. I'll get the Probios done tonight. :)

·
Registered
31,065 Posts
I agree with Karen, perhaps your graze is giving them everything they need...you could weigh them and keep track to be sure they aren't loosing weight, but if condition is good, sleek shiny coats, bright alert eyes, chewing a cud, pooping berries and peeing just fine..energetic..then I wouldn't worry...make sure to toss any uneaten grain to prevent mold..I might cut what I serve if they don't eat it all..to save waste...

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I guess the next question is, are they acting any different (other then not finishing the grain) and or in low spirits or losing weight? If not, they just may be content and simply dont need as much food as they are getting. Also, did you change up their grain lately or was it somehow different from what they normally have been getting? Here, we by the same grain but it can range from heavy molasses to almost totally dry. When it changes like that often times the goats just look at it and then at us as if asking "What did you do with my normal grain? You dont expect me to eat this do you?" After a few days they are back to eating it like normal.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone! :) The grain is the same as they have always eaten, and they do chew their cuds. They seem active, so I guess I won't worry unless they start losing weight. Thanks!! :)

·
Super Moderator
83,785 Posts
There are certain grains, kids do not like and you have to put a few handfuls in their mouth daily, for them to inquire the taste. They will spit it out but, keep doing it until they start eating it on their own out of your hand or in a small container you have with you.

Find a grain, they like and add just a touch of the grain, you are wanting to feed( that they do not like). After a while, add a little more, increase,do it gradually, then decrease the other grain, until you get to where you want to be. It takes time but, they eventually get the taste for it. ;)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are certain grains, kids do not like and you have to put a few handfuls in their mouth daily, for them to inquire the taste. They will spit it out but, keep doing it until they start eating it on their own out of your hand or in a small container you have with you.

Find a grain, they like and add just a touch of the grain, you are wanting to feed( that they do not like). After a while, add a little more, increase,do it gradually, then decrease the other grain, until you get to where you want to be. It takes time but, they eventually get the taste for it. ;)
Thanks, I'll try that!! Last year's babies I raised on a molasses type of feed, and they seemed to enjoy it, so maybe I'll go back to that feed just for the babies. :)

mmiller, it's been in the 90's here with WICKED humidity. :( So yes, really hot. Lol

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a bag of the old feed today, so we'll see if they like it!! :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!!!!! They loved it, ate it all up, and asked for more!!! I guess I just have some picky eaters on my hands! Lol Thanks everyone!! :D

·
Registered
31,065 Posts
good news..be sure to introduce it back slowly..small amounts until they adjust..if you see loose poo...back off until you see berries and start again slowly..: )

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will do! Thanks!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts