Babies very soon? we have stringy goo

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Feb 8, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well I went out to check on Tilly as her due date is anytime now. Shes very quiet and very still. She takes a few steps, stops and stands there for a long time. Her legs look like the posty pics, her ligs are GONE, her belly is really low, and she looks like shes all backbone with a bulge. Shes leaking a clear/whitish goo, not stringy but its there. Shes also pooping a whole lot. This is not anywhere near normal for her. Shes normally very vocal and LOUD. I was even able to walk up to her and feel her udder. This is totally unheard of. Her udder is very firm and warm, not hot but warm. Shes got shavings stuck to the back of her udder. I could see and feel the babies moving/kicking and she looks uncomfortable. Her vulva is very swollen and dark pink. I can't get a picture as its dark and she won't hold her tail up although she does arch it at times. I can't see any perceivable contractions due to all the movement. I am thinking either tonight or tomorrow at the latest and I have to work tomorrow 7am-7pm. The other goats are hanging really close to her and the togg is being a bit protective. This will be her first kidding and mine also. I have everything ready to go out the door as soon as she lets me know. I will check again at 10 and set the clock for 3 and 5. Going to be a long night.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Babies very soon?

she could very well go tonight or wait 2 days. But your best bet is tomorrow. Hopefully it is after you get home from work

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The biggest thing is that you have seen a difference in her behaviour, just as when a goat is sick, you notice those little things that make you stop and think.
    She is likely in early labor, and if she doesn't kid by morning I hope she waits for you to be there to experience your first birth together. Her udder will also likely go to proportions you would not imagine...but being her first time, she may not have the capacit that she will get with each freshening.
    Try and get some rest...I know it's hard to do, she will let you know when she's ready to go. Good Luck and a healthy kidding, for both of you :hug:

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Rest??? whats that. I have been freezing for the last 2 weeks and now that I'm warm she decides its time. I should really be thankful that she didn't decide to go during the ice storm or the 12 days we were without power. Right now I am so wide awake and anxious, You would think I was having a baby myself. DH said he wants me to wake him up if hes asleep so he can experience the miracle with me should it happen tonight. He wants to know what to expect and what to do if he has to do the next one (the togg) by himself. He has been reading Fiasco farms website but reading is not the same thing as doing. We will be taking the 22 with us tonight because I can hear the coyotes yipping in the distance. Hopefully they will stay away.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I'd say within 24 hours, but they can fool ya.....if you have to leave her in the morning....put her in a area by herself....big enough to kid ...yet small enough.. so if the kids crawl ...they won't crawl to far from her......remove any water dishes... as I have heard some goat momma's may stand right over the bucket and accidentally dropped them right into the water container and drowned................
    If you put her in ...by herself...and she kids...then she won't get confused...and prevents other goats from coming up to see and smell the newborns...out of curiosity...and they will .....mom and kids need bonding time especially First time mom's as some... do not know... what to do and need to be by themselves when they do kid..........can't wait to see those kids.... :wink:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I am going back out to check on her. DH is all excited at the thought of impending birth. Do ya think this is a good reason to stay home from work tomorrow? Do ya think I can use family medical leave for a day or so?????? Thats what I thought.... darn!!!!!!!!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

That is totally up to you... it is ...a very extraordinary event ...especially for 1st timers .and yeah ...even us so called pro's...LOL......so ....do what you feel is right... from your heart......
    good luck kidding........ :hug: :)

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Good Luck. Keep us posted. :greengrin:

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

She was sleeping peacefully at 3 and agitated that I kept messing with her at 5. Shes still very quiet and the other goats are hanging real close to her. We are expecting a storm today so I may have babies on the ground when I get home today at 7pm. DH will check on her every hour or so while I am at work. Shes still leaking the clear/whitish goo but its not stringy. I am really hoping she will wait till Thursday so I can be present.

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

It looks like tonight may be the night. Shes contracting and opening a bit. It really figures though. The does code of honor is holding true, mother nature is fixing to storm her butt off. I have also been up since 3 this morning and have to be at work at 7am.

Is it possible for her to not have the stringy stuff? If shes had it, its stuck to her tail cause her tail is a bit icky. The discharge is still clear/witish. Shes really big in the belly so shes probably carrying big twins or triplets. Hoping for :boy: :girl: :girl: since the male is promised already. These will be 50%Nubian ad 50% Boer so they could very well be huge. Please pray everything goes smoothly and we keep the electricity we just got back today after loosing it again yesterday. I still have plenty of batteries leftover from the icestorm but after 12 days without lights I would like to keep them for a while longer.

11. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

Good luck and happy kidding, birth is a amazing thing!! My doe that kidded had no discharge until about 10 min. before her kids were born, but my other doe had discharge about a week before.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

If she's been up and down it's likely that the "stringy stuff" was either swiped on the stall wall or is laying in the bedding...I had one doe last year that did'nt have this at all...a yell on the moniter sent me running tothe barn just in time to get a feed sack behind her...and the 2nd came within a minute!

I hope you don't lose your power again and I hope she either hurries it up so you can rest or at least waits till you get home from work.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Her contractions are coming in earnest, I can see them plainly. Its also pouring out there. Hopefully she will go quickly. I had to come in and warm up/dry off. I left her happily munching her hay. So far through this whole ordeal she has not made a sound. In fact she has not made a sound in about 4 days, shes usually the loudest and most obnoxious of the bunch. I seem to be more concerned than she does. Shes all calm, cool, and very collected. You would think she did this everyday.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

well thats great news. she probably wanted you to leave so she could just get down to business :wink:

15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Your probably right Stacey

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Well we still don't have any kids but shes still having light? contractions. I got her shaved this morning so it would be a little cleaner. There is a little more discharge but not much, I think its all on her tail cause she holds it down except when she has a contraction. She seems to be pooping a whole lot more, like 3x in 5 min each 5-10 minutes, almost like constant pooping.. Still eating her hay and acting content. Her pen mate Pickles has been talking to her kids when she has a contraction. Its really funny to see a non pregnant doe talking to a pregnant does belly. I wish she would hurry up. I really want her to go before I have to go back to work on Sunday. As soon as it stops raining I will go out and get a picture of her udder so you can assess it. To me it looks pretty small, but what do I know.

[​IMG]

17. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Re: Babies very soon? udder too small, pic pg2

Hopefully babies soon?!? :wink:

18. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

Oh didn't see second page :hammer: sounds like she is taking her time! Looks like her udder could get fuller.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

she is probably having "practice" contractions. Once a goat is having real contractions you will know it. Udder will get bigger and fuller. Those teats will fill out too

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

The whites of Tilly's eyes are red and shes spending a lot of time by herself. When I went out a bit ago she was standing outside by herself. Her pen mates were in the house sleeping like sensible goats. Shes still calm, cool and collected while I am spazzing out. I checked the house over really well and I didn't see the code of honor posted anywhere, must be an invisiable copy only the goats can see.