Baby almost hanged himself! It's OK he's good!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh dear...we just got home and heard a scream...it was one of our little boys from Oct...he got himself hung up in a wire between the fence posts (hard to explain, it's a figure 8 between two posts). Anyway, I ran and held the wires apart but couldn't get him out, Hubby came running when I screamed, I though he was going to die right then...Hubby got him out and he was still breathing, but kind of flopping his head around. I brought him in and have been holding him, he's shocky I think, but he's breathing, but, they (he and hubby) are on the couch, he's kind of resting, but I'd be happier if he was perkier.

What should I do? Give him some Nutra-drench? Should I just keep him warm and still? :help:

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Re: EMERGENCY! PLEASE HELP! Baby almost hanged himself!

He's laying quietly on Hubby, he's panting a little, but, he's breathing through his nose, not his mouth. He'll sit up if you "pester" him a little, but then he lays his head back down.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Baby almost hanged himself!

Keep him warm and comfy.

Did he cut himself at all on the wire? Any swelling? Thats going to be your main concern if he has swelling near his airway.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

No, he's not cut at all. I gave him some Nutra drench, he perked up a little, Hubby said he's acting like he doesn't want to hold his head up, but he can.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I had a little one did this last October - is there any edema anywhere? Give the nutra drench as you did a couple times a day. Also get some probiotics or yogurt into him. Check his legs over real well and behind his ears.

How is his temp?

It sounds like you got to him in time - but it may take a bit to get him back to "normal". Lets just hope he learned (as my boer buck never did - different animal then above - and was constantly trying to hang himself in the fence).

Glad that he is doing a bit better for you! :hug:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

His neck is probably sore and that is why he dosen't want to hold his head up. I would just let him get some good rest after his stressful day.

:hug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

He is majorly stressed out.....I would watch him ...he may get sick from the stress....then again he may not....keep an eye on his temp.....Keep him in a warm and quiet place... If you think he has swelling around the neck... give him some banamine to help prevent swelling.....to keep his airway open :hug:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Oh, how scary!!

I hope he feels better soon

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

He's resting now in a crate, he's holding his head up, when I got to him I checked to see if his mouth was warm, it was very cool, now he's warmed up. I'll get his temp. Doesn't seem to have any edema, yet any way. Seems perkier since the nutra-drench.

Oh, I fixed the problem...I'll do a better job tomorrow...but this will get us by for tonight. They never learn, do they?

Thank you all for being there! I think we'll be ok tonight, I'll check back in later.

OK, thanks toth, I didn't think about Banamine...I'll give him some of that.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Banamine is good, but make sure his temp is normal before you give it because it will take his temp down. :wink:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

your welcome.... :hug:

Good thinking..... :thumbup: I do agree with RunAround....stabilize his temp first... :wink:

12. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Thinking of your guy, hope all is okay.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Well, I didn't hear him all night and then this morning (he was downstairs in the kitchen) so I feared the worst as I came downstairs. But, he was up and perky, ready to get back with his buddies! :clap:

Thank you all for your help and support last night. :grouphug:

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Glad to hear that he is doing so well!!! :clap: :clap: You did good momma!

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Thanks, but, Hubby just called, puts the goat thing in prospective...one of the guys he works with (he is in the reception area...6'2" big guy), went out last night to get chicken, 2 guys jumped him...put a gun to his throat...wanted money and cell phone...he gave it up...and they shot him anyway...he's in the hospital fighting for his life...I think he's stable now. What a waste, really nice guy, hard working. :pray:

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be thinking about him to pull through!! :pray:

What a thing to do - I just really do not understand. :shrug:

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How terrible....I am so sorry ..to hear that.... :hug:

I am very happy to hear.... that the goat is doing so well.... :leap:

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

DI, I am so sorry to hear all that you are going through right now. Glad the baby is doing better. I would keep him on some Nutra Drench for today and for sure keep the probiotic in him for today also.

I am so sorry to hear about the the guy your hubby works with. I sure will be praying for him. That is horrible.

19. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Oh yes, so shocking and horrible. :pray: for him. Thoughts and much strength to those around him affected by this.

20. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama

Di- I am so very sorry about your husband's friend :hug: That is just AWFUL!!! :(