The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never bottle feed a baby goat before but mother passed 4 days ago ! (We had to begin supplementing her before the mom passed.)

My 4 week old bottle baby has diarrhea! She s drinking electrolytes fine ! She seems to feel fine but doesn’t want the milk bottle at all. (Prior to the diarrhea she was taking a milk bottle without problem. )Should I be concerned? She will eat hay and grass.
I was reading about coccidia, a lot of websites say that could be one of the cause of the diarrhea. And it can easily kill kid goats . Many recommended preventative treatment at 3 weeks! Should I treat her just in case ?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Sorry you lost mom. How much do you feed her, with what and how much does she weigh? Over feeding and or using replacer can cause tummy trouble.
Definitely needs coccidia prevention. Poop from coccidia is usually dark brown to black. My preference for preventing is Toltrazuril which is ordered in line. Second choice is Albon/Dimethox and or Sulfur drug. Comes in several names...usually is injectable given orally. Albon is the brand name you get from the vet. I order off Jeffers but some farm supply store may have it. Last choice is Corid. It's easy to find. If you go with corid, check out the files here on how to properly dilute and dose.

Reactions: goatblessings

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She weighs about 9 lbs ! She s been taking milk replacer about 15 to 17 ounces daily. I was told to swap her to whole milk with can evaporated milk and cup of buttermilk. So I started that Friday night but she wouldn’t take it Saturday. Then diarrhea started and I’m been giving her electrolytes. She ate a good bit of grass, weeds etc on Friday. Didn’t know if that caused the diarrhea?
I’m definitely gonna give her the coccidia prevention. Thank you ‘

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Did you switch to whole cows milk slowly or just jump into it? Sometimes not going a slow switch can upset the tummy too. Doesn't sound like she's being over fed..I too would just do quality whole cows milk once her poop is back to normal. Electrolytes for 12 to 24 hours should do the trick. If not pepto can help dry her bum.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my gosh! I’m so stressed. We took her to the vet yesterday. No coccidia but did find worms but very mild He gave me wormer to give her for three days ! He told me to let her eat hay and weeds. Now her diarrhea is horrible!
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
58,105 Posts
We need to know the wormer he gave. You can certainly give probiotics. Had she eaten grass and weeds before? What milk are you feeding?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took her back to the vet today! She is drinking whole milk and yes she had eaten grass! I m gonna find out the name of the wormer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts