Baby buckling, 1 day old, going downhill EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by citylights, Sep 24, 2009.

1. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi all, I'm at my wits end -- pulled a large buck out of my pygmy doe yesterday morning. He was back feet first and I didn't even think he'd be alive....he's been weak and wobbly since the first. I milked mom and tube fed him. He got a little perkier and was able to stand last night. I kept him in with me and tubed 3x over night. MIddle of the night he started that stinky yellow goamy poop. And he's really been going down today.

I've tubed him with: Lactated ringers, a little bit of mom's milk, plus nutridrench, plus a tiny bit of Sulmet about anhour ago. I've done fluid sub-cu, and am going to give him probios next. Any ideas?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like he needs a bo-se shot... Are you tube feeding him ...because he doesn't want to eat? or to weak to eat?
    I have in the past... held up a kid ...that was so weak ....she couldn't stand ...but had the suck reflex......So I would teach him to suckle... if he is wanting to suck....It may take 2 people... one to stimulate and tickle his tail area and to hold him up...while the other.....holds the head up and gets him to suckle the teat.....good luck....I will pray ... :pray: ..for the baby........ If the kid doesn't have an appetite vit B complex shot ....will help boost appetite..... :hug: :pray:

3. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, I'll try to BoSe -- can't lose anything

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I think he may be a little bit young for the sulmet, give him some thiamin just in case the sulmet depletes him too much. Have you given him a shot of Bo-Se? I usually give that to weak or dumpy kids and it really helps.

Good luck :)

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I was going to suggest a shot of BoSe and Vit B too. How's his temp? I sure hope he pulls through for you :pray:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep the Bo-se sounds good right now. hope he pulls through for you.

7. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Have you feel inside of the baby's mouth?? If it is feeling cool or kinda cold. THEN you need to warm the baby UP fast before you feed them. I have noticed that everytime my baby was born and they were weak and i feel inside of their mouth and it was kinda cold and I warmed them up and all of sudden they were eating it. Try that. I just fill up my sink with very very very warm water and I put the baby in there and wait for lil bit until their mouth feels warm then I had my husband bring the warm colostrum milk and put its mouth and they start sucking it up then after that i took them out and dry them up very well and blow dry very well and through.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if you dont want to get them wet, put their body -not head- into a shopping bag, or even heating pad.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have taken ziplock baggies and filled them with hot hot water or even latex gloves and put the around the babies before with a towel wrapped around them. I also give them a little bit of coffee/karo syrup/whiskey to warm them from the inside when they are cold.

How is he this morning?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    denise....how is the baby? :worried:

11. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Shockingly, the little boy made it through the night. I really didn't think he would. Last night, I had another doe kidding, so I was in the barn til about 2 a.m. (in a sleeping bag!) When I went up to the house, I decided that I'd just let him pass on quietly with his mum. I tubed with colostrum from the freshening doe and water, and put him on a warm microwaved pad and went to bed.

And here he is this morning! I brought him to work with me so I can take care of him...now, he's got my hopes up! So two things --

1) has anyone heard of babies getting e coli in utero or at birth? He started with the foamy poop within 16 hours of birth.

2) I'm not going to give him any of his mom's milk -- could she carry something in her milk? SOmeone told me to completely milk her out and let her refill before letting him nurse. She doesn't have mastitis, but could she have "bad milk"
    3) a friend gave me something called vet-sulid -- a powder to mix with water and give him an ounce 2 x day to deal with e coli. Anyone heard of it?
    Thanks

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to hear he is still with you -- never heard of ecoli issue being so young. :scratch:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    denise....so glad to hear ...that the baby is still with us.....he is a fighter....and I pray ...that he will continue to improve.... :pray: :hug:

sounds like the Bo-se helped..... :wink:

I never heard them getting e coli ...that young either........

14. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I don't know if it's e coli -- but his poop is just very runny and smelly. HIs little tummy feels bloated... I just don't know. I know they can get the e coli when they're quite young, and I supposed if he was stressed while he was born...? I just don't know. He's taken a turn for the worse this afternoon, so we'll see. Now he's gotten my hopes up!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Found this link on scours below....it may very well be e coli

The best way ...to know for sure is... to take his temp and to take a fecal in... to have it tested....if the baby is going down hill ...I recommend doing this ...so you are not guessing at a treatment .....but can treat it properly ....and faster .....knowing what you are treating for....... :hug:

http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/

16. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks, Pam. I actually did call my vet this afternoon, and she thought it could be salmonella b/c of the runny smelly poop. He's really gone downhill this afternoon; it's obvious his tummy hurts -- I can hear it growl and I'm sure he's got horrid cramps. I brought hime home (I was at work) and (on the vet's suggestion) gave him .03 of Penicillin and about .02 of banamine to help witht he pain. NOt easy, but I used an insulin syringe. I also gave him 20 cc of lactated ringer's twice.

Tonight I put him down with his mama -- she's been calling for him. I propped him up and he seems more comfortable, and he can hear his mama right there with him. I feel so bad, and I don't think he'll make it through the night. But I can't just give up on him, so I'll head back down in a minute or two.

I hate when they get sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Denise so sorry to hear he isnt doing good :(

18. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm so sorry to hear he isn't doing better :sigh: It doesn't make it any better when you hear a mama calling for her baby :hug: Miracles do happen :pray:

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    How's he doing? :pray: :hug:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry the little guy has had such a lousy start , praying that just being near his mom gives him the strength to fight :hug: