The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if it was normal for a doe to have a baby bump this early in the pregnancy. She is a smaller framed Boer X doe, this will be her 2nd freshening. She kidded with twins last year and definitely had a baby belly but I don't remember her getting this big this early. She was put in with the buck on August 20th--so she is due at the earliest Jan. 17th. She is fed free-choice alfalfa hay and fed a double handful of 16% grain in the morning. I don't think this is enough to make her fat but she has gotten a lot bigger in the 3 weeks since I got her back from being bred, she was a good BC when I got her back. Do you think it is fat or baby bump?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a boar lamancha cross who is due in January. I took lots of pictures and I could see a little bump one month after she was bred.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bred my does August 15 and several are starting to get a baby bump now, I've had all of the does for several years and know how they normally look, it's easy to tell with them its a baby and not just fat. Theyre only on late fall pasture, no grain or hay

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine were on pasture but I moved them to the barn a couple of weeks ago. It is snowing and water has started to freeze so the grass is mostly dead anyway.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
I have some that I can tell at 50-60 days. But the majority I can always see growth by 90 days which is also when my FF get udder growth. It does vary goat to goat though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was going to start my own thread about this very own this. My doe was introduced to my buck on Sep 4. I have been watching every little twitch, every move she makes. I’ve had her in my new goat stand the past two days and brushing her..mostly to get her used to my touch...we rescued them from bad owner in aug and they never had contact...so it can be tough for us to show and receive love from them. The stand has helped a ton. I rub them an soft talk and they like that. But I swear I can feel significantly harder,,,somethings other left side...something round..something oblong? Something lower. But now soft over there. Maybe it’s just that I want to feel those little guys!!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Just a tip...
Babies are on the right... rumen on the left. As pregnancy advances the rumen gets pushed out to the side and it can be mistaken for babies.
It's not unusual to feel babies kick and move on the right just above the udder. It's great your girl is liking the milk stand, it's a great place to earn their trust.
Great job :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts