The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have breed my rabbits well she had kid ok but now three died in the cage please help me what to do ???????? :(

Bunnies and goats and chickens rock my world

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it it her second time and it is not hot here it cool

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New borns yesterday

·
1,384 Posts
does not sound like mom is feeding them. that can happen. How many did she have? I take it she raised the first ones just fine. you may need to bump her calorie intake, to help her milk production if you are limiting her feed. That is just a guess, or does she have more kits than she can handle she could be loosing some of them that way.
do the surviving kits look healthy and round tummies?

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Did she nest? Did she pull fur? Does she have a nest box and the proper nesting materials? Is she a mini? Just because they are dying could be a huge conglomeration of things so we need for details.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Exactly - we need more info. Did they look normal in terms of size? How is the mom acting? How soon is this after her first litter? How many did she have?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
They would die after two days or so if she wasn't feeding them.
They would look squashed if she had suffocated them by sitting on them.
If they're partly eaten, maybe she killed them for one reason or another (too much stress maybe)...or maybe she just ate them after they were dead.
If they're out of the nest box, they probably hung on to her teats and were dragged out, then couldn't get back in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They all died but now I have mixed breeds so that good mini lop and holland lops mix

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Alright, well before you breed again, I would highly suggest reading this, ALL of it. http://www.raising-rabbits.com/breeding-rabbits.html

Some were probably peanuts. If you breed a mini (or dwarf) rabbit, you will sometimes end up with peanuts. That is the result of the dwarf gene interuppting and producing un-viable kits. These kits don't usually like past 2 weeks. They are tiny wersions of their larger siblings, resulting in a deformed tiny kit. Most people cull these when they are first born to keep them from suffering.

Did you, perhaps, breed you mini mix to a larger rabbit? Did you give her a nesting box? Was her cage clean? Did she pull fur? Please answer all of the questions I have asked, for your sake and the rabbits' sake.

Breeding rabbits is somewhat surprisingly technical. You need to read about it before you actually breed them. It takes skill and knowledge to remember and know things about this sort of stuff, you can't go breeding your bunnies all willy nilly. Now, I am not saying that you aren't knowledgeable or anything, but your bunnies need you to learn about this stuff. It is hard on the dam to lose her kits and it's also risking the babies lives.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Breeding rabbits is somewhat surprisingly technical. You need to read about it before you actually breed them. It takes skill and knowledge to remember and know things about this sort of stuff, you can't go breeding your bunnies.
This is SO true! Sometimes I feel like I spend more time and energy on my rabbits than goats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts