The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a baby who caught her head in the fence. Cut behind her horns where she was stuck. Wasn’t stuck long.

I put blood stop on it. Should I clean it with something? Should I be giving anything besides banamine?

I don’t have any antibiotic because vet doesn’t give me those unless rx.

She wasn’t in the fence long. But freaked. And cut behind her horns. Was bleeding. Wondering if cleaning it with peroxide would be good?

Wasn’t sure if I should worry about infection? Anything internally I should give her?

Thought I’d give probiotics for starters and clean the blood off with peroxide. I put blood stop on it tho. Seems to be working.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I have a baby who caught her head in the fence. Cut behind her horns where she was stuck. Wasn't stuck long.

I put blood stop on it. Should I clean it with something? Should I be giving anything besides banamine?

I don't have any antibiotic because vet doesn't give me those unless rx.

She wasn't in the fence long. But freaked. And cut behind her horns. Was bleeding. Wondering if cleaning it with peroxide would be good?

Wasn't sure if I should worry about infection? Anything internally I should give her?

Thought I'd give probiotics for starters and clean the blood off with peroxide. I put blood stop on it tho. Seems to be working.

Thank you.
Use a weak iodine solution or vetricyn spray or bactine spray instead of the peroxide. Peroxide kills all the stuff and you really want her to have good stuff to help fight off infection. You can also use neosporin on her too.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Is she utd on cd and T?. If not tetanus antitoxin maybe in order if the cut is deep.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No we don’t do cdt shots. The cut doesn’t that deep. I’m hoping she’s ok without that. Cause it’s difficult to get meds and cd antitoxin is on back order right now. It’s a crazy world we live in right now.

·
8,175 Posts
You can always get human antibiotic cream or ointment at the store, Walmart or a drug store. Tractor Supply sells penicillin and LA-200 plus the CDT shots if you ever need them. (The CDT are for long term protection, not immediate).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you goats rock for posting. That’s great idea. I have a ointment with silver in it.

At this point what I did is I thought I had vetericyn but didn’t. I just had their brand pink eye spray. Ugh

But I had the red coat spray. So I sprayed that. It’s a antiseptic.

I gave her probiotics. But decided not to give her any shots right now. She didn’t like us messing with the area. So will let it heal and see if we need to do more.

She didn’t seem like she was in pain. So didn’t give banamine. Will check her this morning.

Yeah we don’t give cdt shots here anymore. But I’m wanting to get tetanus antibody and the cd antibody to have on hand. It’s tough to find those right now tho. With the pandemic that stuff is back ordered I think.

Hoping to get some. I do have penicillin and I have LA-200 too.

So will see how she is today.

Also will recheck fecals Monday. In case she had a jump in numbers due to this stressful situation for her.

Hope I’ve done enough to treat her.

Thank you all for responding. I’m very thankful for this wonderful goat owner community. I try to post too off and on.
We just had more babies. I need to post on our thread. We’ve had a interesting week. Birth wasn’t normal.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
We dibt do cd&t any more either. You could put cayenne pepper in the wound. Will stop bleeding and help prevent tetanus. Cayenne is pretty amazing. Great to have if you nick hooves and make them bleed.

Reactions: Kass

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Use a weak iodine solution or vetricyn spray or bactine spray instead of the peroxide. Peroxide kills all the stuff and you really want her to have good stuff to help fight off infection. You can also use neosporin on her too.
I agree and no need for antibiotics being injected.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes I sprayed it with red coat. Then she hit head again. So more blood stop. Ugh. She doesn’t want me anywhere near her now.

So hoping it will heal. I tried to give her more probiotics but that’s when she hit her head again. She used to be so friendly but this fence head lock she experienced really has made her freaked out.

Cathy that is a great what you suggested! Cayenne is wonderful stuff!!! Great idea! Thanks! She just won’t let me near her really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts