The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mama is just past peak milk production at about 4.5 weeks, she's a big animal with only one baby and first time mom. The lamb (we're talking sheep) died last night. (He was born with some strange heart or lung deformation it seemed, we tried to help him but also not surprised). I feel like she'll dry up naturally but wonder if there's something I can give her in the way of herbs or EO to help keep her comfortable and speed up drying. I may try to milk her too just to relieve any pressure but that's another set of complications.

I don't want to mail order anything but have a lot of herbs and EO's around, and a couple farm supply stores too. So...a simple preventative?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She looks fantastic- great conformation and condition. She does not have any symptoms of ill-health and her udder was full today but not hard or hot, etc. We were able to hold her today and let a semi-orphan lamb nurse and she stood willingly! I think we'll keep doing that for the next few days, maybe they'll get a groove together and maybe not. If not we'll push some drying herbs on her to help her along.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mamma sheep will suffer from depression. They tend to be "emotional about their babies for 3 days.
Do you have another lamb you could try put on her.
Sheep also dry up quickly if there is no baby.
Let her walk with the herd. She will try steal another baby if she can.
Yeah, I think this orphan lamb will figure this out really quickly. We'll keep trying to get them to bond over the next couple of days- it would be a pretty happy ending. Wish Little Button and Big Berry luck!

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Her taking the orphan would be ideal. If not Sage and/or peppeemint can help dry things up.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yeah, I think this orphan lamb will figure this out really quickly. We'll keep trying to get them to bond over the next couple of days- it would be a pretty happy ending. Wish Little Button and Big Berry luck!
You can put them in an enclosure together for a week. By themselves. Hold momma still and hold baby to the udder. They will catch on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts