The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting for friend who raises boer goats. He had a doe kid with twins 3 days ago. Yesterday the buck started hunching up and gazing. This morning he was dead. This afternoon the other kid has started showing similar signs. Poop and pee seems to be good so far. Temp is about 100. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Are there any other symptoms?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Temp needs to come up...get him inside under a towel or blanket tent and warmthe air with a blow dryer..or put the baby in a plastic bag, head out and sit in very warm tub of water..

Could be floppy kid Syndrom or too much milk..either way....No milk for 12-24 hours feed electrolytes from a bottle ..
I would give thiamine (b1) or fortified B complex
electrolite recipe as follows.
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or any moslaases she has onhand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt. (choose Baking soda to help off set the acidosis of FKS)
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

Feed this with a bottle at the follow rate

Weight baby..multiply that weight by 16 to get weight in oz, multiply that by 10% to see howm uch fluid he needs per day, divide that into 4 feedings..

BUT GET HIS TEMP UP FIRST and a thiamine or fortified B shot..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
One of my Does has very rich creamy milk and her babies often have to be pulled do to that..babies get hunched up, can be runny poop, lethargic..dont want to eat or cant...treatment I did was the Thiamine, C D antitoxin and electrolytes as stated above...I didnt list the C D Antitoxin but this is a must as well..tummy is not doing good..it needs the help..get his temp up ..normal range is 101.5 and 103.5 Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
I would definitely get some thiamine into the kid. I would also give a BoSe shot if you didn't give a BoSe shot to mom before kidding.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
I'm seeing dark poo instead of bright yellow/orange. Possible E-Coli.
I would treat with scourhalt as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got her under a heat lamp and a shirt on her gave her a shot of a b complex. I have not taken her of the mother yet but it is as if she is struggling for a bowel movement. The nanny has plenty of milk and will let her nurse as she wants to when she does she is going from side to side then she stops and will to the humped position

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Constipation can kill young baby goats very fast. If she is not pooing make sure that the bum is clear of debris and syringe a mix of water and veggie oil in her bum. Start with 3 to 4 cc.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Everything I thought has been mentioned. To tell if the have floppy kid syndrome you pick the kid up and kinda swing back and forth.....if you hear fluid moving it fks. I have never kid fks and have only read about the 'test'.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I agree with Goathiker...I know its hard but you need to take her off mom for a bit..her tummy is not digesting and that will kill her..keeping her hydrated with the elctrolytes will keep her full. They can go as much as 36 hours if need be with out food, although that owuld be under extreem situations...12-24 hours right now, get the enima done with lots of messaging between doses of oil and water..be sure water is warm..go slow..it can take up to 45 minutes to see results..

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
You want to keep at it until she poops...it takes patients....Once she poops..let her rest and see if she can poop on her own after..the oil from the enemia will keep things moving..

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Do you know what to use in the enema? Some do a warm soapy water and others do a mineral one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have given 3 enemas of a mixture of vegetable oil and warm water. Over the last 5hrs with no bowl movements. She has been off her mother for the last 3 hrs we gave her about an ounce and a half of a goat drench and added baking soda. Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts