The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Dakota" is an adorable, spunky donkey foal for sale. She would make a great companion or guard donkey. Currently being raised around chickens, ducks, goats, and dogs. She is very smart and beautiful to look at with great stripes on her legs. Her mother stands about 11.2hhs so Dakota will mature about that or just a little taller. Dakota is haltered and has had some basic leading/handling but needs to go to a home experienced with donkeys and/or horses. She was born July 10 and will be ready to go to her new home the first week of October. Shipping is available within 100 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
shes cute!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I don't know if I could upload a video onto here, she is a riot running around. Plays with the water tub brush(never know where I'll find it), knocks over lawn chairs, tries to play with my dog, opens and closes goat house door. This is my first time owning donkeys and I am amazed how intelligent they are! And easy to keep!

·
Registered
47 Posts
What's needed to house, feed and take care of one?

Is it true that they are protectors of the other livestock?

Would it be considered a 'horse' because according to the township ordinance, I don't have enough property for horses.

I. On 2 acres also in Hunterdon County

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
If you were in Arkansas I would be in your driveway with my trailer right now. LOL

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
If only we had the space! We are taking a trip to or around NJ to pick up a goat in November... Grrr.. Hope she finds a good home!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Donkeys require simple shelter - mine share with my goats, a 5 or 6 ft tall shed is ample. They eat grass and hay and a teensy bit of grain if need be. They need equine vaccines once a year and their feet done a few times a year. They need to be dewormed routinely also. i have no idea on zoning requirements, you would have to check with your township they are not horses but your township may have similar requirements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And yes they are good protectors of other livestock. I have mine in with chickens and goats and ducks, other people use them to protect sheep also.

·
Registered
31,073 Posts
This is my first time owning donkeys and I am amazed how intelligent they are! And easy to keep!
I too am a failry new owner of Donkeys..we have moslty minis but do have one standerd and her jenny baby...they are super smart..I love mine..we started out with a few and they all had babies..now we have 8..: ) I am rehoming a few to lessen our burden lol..but I do enjoy them a ton..want to really make then stop and pay attention? hum softly to them while grooming..they will melt in your hand. They calm down, relax and really enjoy the time..DOnkeys hum when content..if you listen careful..its almost a moan..Yep i love my donkeys lol

as for guards..they are great if worked with..never put a uncut jack in with your sheep or goats..they will hurt them..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow! Lots of NJ peeps! We are also in Hunterdon County, NJ. Near the Delaware in Holland Township. Your little jenny is adorable. I've always wanted one! 8)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
My husband and I were just talking about donkeys last night , lol
I did not see this thread , I did not see this thread , I did not see this thread !!! REPEAT ! I did not see this thread !

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
My husband and I were just talking about donkeys last night , lol I did not see this thread , I did not see this thread , I did not see this thread !!! REPEAT ! I did not see this thread !
Hahah!!! :ROFL:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts