The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doe had triplets and lost them all within three days of kidding. She is still very depressed and won't eat or drink or go outside and she is looking really sick! The vet said other than being dehydrated and malnourished, she isn't sick as in having a medicate able illness. She does perk up when I show her our Pygmy kid but once he goes back to his momma, she goes back to being depressed! Does anyone know where I can get a really cheap kid? It doesn't need to be to quality or purebred and I promise that it will be going to a wonderful home! She/he will prolly be used in 4H or FFA and shown at the fair with our other goats (that's why it doesn't need to be a purebred. Just healthy and still young) thank you for your time :)

·
14,724 Posts
Awww so sad :( We've been there and understand. My son's doe lost her babies 3 weeks premature, and she was the same way, she knew that 1 had lived when I took it in the house, but it only lived for 12 hours.
We ended up putting ads up on Craigslist and found a baby for her.

We put Vicks Vapor Rub <per recommendation> on her nose, and on his tail and along his back so she couldn't smell the other does scent. She let him nurse, but was terrified of him otherwise lol So we put a wire dog cage in her stall, and he slept in that and we brought him out every 2 hours to nurse.
Within a couple of days & no worries of the other does scent on him, we no longer needed the cage, and she raised him like he was hers. She was a great mom for being a first timer.
So with that said, I hope you can find your doe a baby to raise & love, and hopefully you will have the same success :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts