Baby Goat attacked, very sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Aasiya, Jan 19, 2021.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

They said it has. ;)

Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sorry, didn't see the rabies shot comment.

MadHouse and Aasiya like this.

3. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    The baby is about 3lbs...it's a black Bengal, they're a bit smaller than NDs....the cat is a just a mixed breed domestic, only 9 lbs...he's very gentle(everyone's favourite),neutered and doesn't catch mice, birds etc..but unfortunately has something for goats:(

SalteyLove and MadHouse like this.
  4. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    The wounds are scabbed now... should I take the scabs off gently? They don't look swollen/ red..iv been flushing them with the iodine....
    She's completely lost control of her legs...can hardly stand or nurse just flops over. Iv been giving her electrolytes through syringe.
    I did give the penicillin so I'll continue that... second shot due in a few hours...but she doesn't seem to have fever now. Also, her head keeps tilting towards her side...is it possible she suffered from nerve damage or something from the attack?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    MadHouse likes this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    This sounds a lot like goat polio! I personally have no experience with that and I haven't heard of it in a goat so young, but vitamin B1 (Thiamine) is the treatment for it. Another thing that comes to mind is floppy kid syndrome, which I believe can be triggered by infection. Hopefully someone else can chime in here. Do an internet search for polio and floppy kid and see if either one fits, or if you can find a way to diagnose.

As for the scabs, yes remove them so you can keep the wounds flushed out. Punctures are notorious for scabbing over and looking dry and clean while hiding a nasty infection underneath.

HMNS, Aasiya, MadHouse and 1 other person like this.
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Here’s a link for polio but there’s also one for floppy kid on this site. It’s a great web site for goats http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Yes, remove the scabs and flush, it needs to be treated like a burn and heal from the inside out. You have to flush frequently and aggressively to prevent infection. Keep a vasoline (petroleum jelly) bandage on it lightly to keep it clean and open.
    I’d give her 1cc of thiamine or vitamin b complex every 6 hours along with the penicillin every 6 hours.
    I’d also give her one tenth of a CC of banamine (use a insulin syringe to get a proper dose) to prevent brain stem swelling triggered by the attack and it’ll help with internal inflammation from the bites.
    Prayers she gets better.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It really does sound more like Polio or Floppy Kid than tetanus. Perhaps just triggered by the shock.

At this point, there is nothing to lose by treating both.

8. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks for the advice everyone....I'm doing my best to do everything suggested. As it happens, I have two exams tomorrow too so..things are pretty hectic:(
    I gave her baking soda in case of fks...but should I withhold milk too? She's eager to nurse if held up to her mother. She last nursed several hours ago..as of now I'm just giving electrolyte.
    Also gave the vit b...will give every 6 hours now. I don't have banamine ( couldn't find it anywhere)...but I gave her meloxicam few hours ago with the dose suggested by someone here.

Lstein and MadHouse like this.
  9. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Also, I do have dexamethasone....if I should give it as suggested for listeriosis/polio...what is the dose?

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do you have Vitamin A,D,-E? That helps with floppy kid. As well as Selenium. (along with all the other stuff you are doing).

Lstein, MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  11. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    I did give her the sel+e supplement yesterday when she showed signs of leg trouble..she was also given it at birth(1week ago) as far as I know. Don't really have the A,D separately..but I do have a multivitamin+ amino acids injection. Should I try that?

MadHouse likes this.
  12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Cod liver oil can work well too. Just poke a hole in a gel cap and squeeze in babies mouth.

13. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thank you!..will try it, I have loads of those cod liver supplements at home:)

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  14. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

If she is wanting milk give her milk! Banamine has to come from the vet. And a vet visit is not a bad idea right about now. He also will have stronger antibiotics than otc ones.

15. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Ok thank you. She just nursed again now. Like I said in a previous post, the cattle vet has been transferred and the small animal vet won't see goats. It's a town so, we don't have any other cattle vet than that one in the government hospital... and now he's been transferred too..
    But I did try to get stronger antibiotics from the small animal vet...he didn't have the generic of draxxin, nuflor or banamine but he did give ceftriaxone ( rocephin) and said to use only as a last resort ( any other antibiotic not working). He's also the one who gave meloxicam for pain.

MadHouse likes this.
  16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you can give the meloxicam, it should help. (I keep forgetting to look and see where
    everyone is from!)..Not all countries have the same meds as USA, and vice versa.

Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  17. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Update: I may be too hopeful but I do think she's doing a bit better! She was able to stand up and sit on her own today... yesterday she kept dropping down and screaming till someone lifted her back. Also, shes started crying out whenever she gets hungry.
    However...I do believe she might have had a bit too much milk as I was allowing her to nurse after tying up mom...so she might have nursed too long. She's been scouring with very soft yellow poop for a while so iv kept her on electrolytes only today. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks again.

18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    That's exciting news..joyfully she continues to strengthen.
    Good idea replacing her milk with electrolytes. See how she does with just that..but if shes still scouring by tonight you can give a bit of pepto

Good job

MadHouse, Aasiya and GoofyGoat like this.
  19. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yay! Great news she’s doing better. Obviously it’s due to your great care. That’s fantastic. Praying she keeps it up.
    Quick thinking switching her off milk for a bit.

happybleats, MadHouse and Aasiya like this.
  20. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thank you! I'll keep watching for a bit then. Im hoping she makes it..iv grown rather fond of her and named her Ianthe as she wasn't named(owners like the name:))
    She's a beauty..(but I may be partial as she was sired by my buck)

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.